Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motion Sensor not causing lights to turn on

Motion Sensor not causing lights to turn on

I have an extensive Lutron Caseta system. Recently I installed PD-OSENS occupancy/vacancy sensors in 4 areas to turn on lights when I enter and turn off when everyone leaves.

I've had the same sensors in other areas for a year and they work fine.

All four of the sensors I installed failed to work. I believe there was some kind of problem with the app during finalization (after I click "I'm done adding sensors")- the app appeared to hang at that point, but after restarting the app I saw all four sensors.

The sensors do not report any errors and the on and off tests work just fine. But they are not causing the lights to turn on when motion is detected.

Given the app problems, I removed each sensor individually and re-added it. Two of the sensors then started working appropriately.

The remaining two sensors, even after being removed and re-added several times, simply do not trigger the lights to come on. The app shows that they are detecting motion.

I'm at a loss how to get these working. I'd appreciate any help. As I said, I've tried removing and re-adding them to the system, and I've also tried removing and re-inserting the batteries in the sensors.

Just a follow up. Even though these are PD-OSENS occupancy/vacancy sensors, the buttons on the back of the sensor won't let me enable auto-on mode.

I have 3 physical sensors with this problem. Am I misunderstanding something, or is this a warranty issue?

Lutron Technical Support
    Have you tried factory defaulting the sensors using the light bulb button and pressing 3 times quickly and holding on the third press until the sensor starts to flash and then quickly pressing another 3 times and releasing? Then try re-adding the sensor to the Lutron App. Also, have you checked the sensor settings from within the Lutron App as you can enable auto-on from there if it is truly a PD-OSENS and not the PD-VSENS (Vacancy only).

Hi Matt, thank you for following up.

The label on the sensor clearly says "PD-OSENS":
    Attachment 957

I had configured this through the app - everything looked good there but it never turned on the light.

At your suggestion, I removed the sensor and tried a factory reset. The device still will not allow me to enable auto-on via hardware.

Here's a video:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/zc2MIHQRZjY?feature=share

After the factory reset, I added the sensor back and configured it. The app is allowing me to set the auto-on feature.
    Attachment 958

The sensor is still not triggering the lights to come on even though it is clearly detecting motion:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motion_detected.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	960

Any suggestions would be helpful - this is super frustrating.

Best regards,
    Eric

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello. Thank you for the video. You would actually be using the Light Bulb button on the top of the sensor to do the default. The button is seen in section 5 of this link. https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...ry/0301947.pdf The complete series of presses should be done within 6 seconds.

Lutron Technical Support
    Also, keep in mind the sensor works in reverse. For example, if the lights are manually turned off from the dimmer or the Sensor by a button push, they will not turn on the lights until the timeout period expires. Meaning, if you manually turn the lights off from the dimmer, the sensor will not be active to turn the lights back on with motion until the timeout period expires. So if the sensor is set to a 5 minute timeout the sensor will not sense occupancy for 5 minutes.

Yes, thank you, I did a factory reset off-camera; the video was showing that the device would NOT go into "auto-on" mode.

Yes, thank you Matt. I've been using the sensors in other areas of my home for years and am familiar with the 5 minute "cool-down" period. Because of that, I waited for several minutes between the time I placed the sensor in the closet and the time I tested it. The auto-on is just not working.

Lutron Technical Support
    Do the "Test auto-on" and "Test auto-off" buttons do anything when you try pressing those? Also, did you make sure the active hours are set correctly for the sensor?

Yes, test auto-on and test auto-off work exactly as expected. Lights turn off exactly as expected. I used "all day" for the active hours for the sensor so time should not have been an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

For all intents and purposes, I have 3 sensors that are acting like they're "vacancy only" sensors but they claim to be occupancy/vacancy sensors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast