Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Control4 Integration Causing Network/System Crashing

Control4 Integration Causing Network/System Crashing

Hello all,

I'm walking into a discovery/takeover next week of a QS system (just shades) and a Control4 system. The Control4 system has been working for a long while now and works fine on it's own, and they recently added a QS system just for shades, and since adding it and integrating into Control4, the whole system has been crashing and needing reboots. Would work for a day or two, crash, reboot, rinse and repeat. They already replaced the main controller for Control4. The client had several Control4 factory techs on-site and they called Lutron for remote support and both teams (C4 and Lutron) deduced that the Lutron prox was sending out weird network traffic and crashing the system.

Since then, they have separated the Lutron from Control4 and everything has been fine for a few weeks.

Now, I have installed several QS systems in the past with Control4 with no issue, but haven't encountered any massive issues such as this before.

What is something I need to look out for with QS going into this? Obviously I will be checking the drivers/programming in Control4 to make sure the integration is solid, but is there anything under the surface for QS network-wise that I can look for immediately? I do not know the hardware for anything they have on-site yet in either system, unfortunately. I haven't dug much into the network-side of QS much outside of reading the best practices and the general knowledge from training. Several other topics I have seen have mentioned making sure the IP addressing is static and not DHCP/MAC reserved, and obviously to update Control4 drivers/make sure you're using the correct ones, but anything deeper than that, I don't know.

Thanks!

Check the telnet login in the Lutron Integration tab in software. If you are logging in too many times with wrong credentials this can happen.

3. Likes CSjogren liked this post
    We checked that out and unfortunately it might have been that simple. We did create a new telnet login to be safe. Lutron is checking out the old support file right now, as it was giving us a glink_info_dump error repeatedly. So we'll see what it ends up being.

I had a feeling it was some sort of buffering/message dump issue. Unfortunately we had no way to check if the password they put into Control4 was the same password as the telnet login they had.

Putting an update in here for historical purposes: After changing telnet logins and updating the firmware, the system is starting to have the same issues again after about a day and a half. Will be trying with a new processor to see what happens. Might even go right to QSX if needed

Any update on this? We have several projects where the QSX works fine until we integrate with C4. Then the network will start locking up, the whole network, and the lutron will be unresponsive. Unplug the network cable to the QSX and the lutron is fine, network still acts up.

Quote Originally Posted by edcox View Post
    Any update on this? We have several projects where the QSX works fine until we integrate with C4. Then the network will start locking up, the whole network, and the lutron will be unresponsive. Unplug the network cable to the QSX and the lutron is fine, network still acts up.
    Totally forgot that this thread existed and I didn't update with what the solution was.

The issue was that the previous installer, on a two-story foyer shade, had wired it with both the QS wire back to a QSPS10PNL and had a QSYC-J-RCVR wired to it, so while the Lutron system was able to handle any error messages just fine, the Control4 system didn't know how to handle those error messages, so it kept going in a loop and crashing itself. So we just cut the data pair from the panel and just sent it power and set the shade to be Sivoia QS Wireless, and it's been working like a charm for the last year now.

We found out what the solution was after a couple of agonizing days and then my coworker saw it after banging his head on the wall a few times and looking up at the shade and going "huh...that doesn't look right." It was just weird because it didn't show anything shorting out the QS Link on the panel, so even tech support assumed everything was fine from a wiring standpoint. We didn't have a ladder to get up there to check. We were about ready to RMA the motor when we finally figured it out.

8. Likes edcox liked this post
    Thanks for the update.