Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WCL won't power on/work

PD-6WCL won't power on/work

I recently purchased 40+ PD-6WCL dimmers and pico remotes. I've hired an electrician to install all of these.
    So I now have over 25+ installed working flawlessly on ALL LED pot lights, outdoor fixtures, and a few indoor fixtures.

However, in most light fixtures that have LED bulbs - nothing. No LED/lights on the switch, and no lights on (except for 2 that flicker and the dimmer still doesn't power on/respond - but if I pull the FASS switch, lights stop flickering)
    This is a brand new home. All fixtures/lights/wiring perfect... just now swapping these out.

I did try LED bulbs from working fixture in the non-working fixtures. Still no luck. Tried swapping dimmers (which eventually worked fine in pot lights)

Like I said, electrician who has installed these 100s of times is stumped (as am I)

Anyone have any suggestions?

BUMP.... Any chance I need the PD-5NE instead with a neutral? I'm struggling to understand if that's the problem.

Lutron Technical Support
    Do you have any specific information on the LEDs that are not working fine (mainly the model number)? When you swapped the dimmers did the issue stay in that location or follow the dimmer?

Swapping the dimmers out for a PD-5NE may resolve the issue if it's an incompatibility between the lights and the dimmer. However if it's something else causing the issue, the PD-5NE will not fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett S. View Post
    Do you have any specific information on the LEDs that are not working fine (mainly the model number)? When you swapped the dimmers did the issue stay in that location or follow the dimmer?

Swapping the dimmers out for a PD-5NE may resolve the issue if it's an incompatibility between the lights and the dimmer. However if it's something else causing the issue, the PD-5NE will not fix it.

Just to be clear, all dimmers are the PD-6WCL. Lets say dimmer A works. dimmer B doesn't. Swapping dimmers, gets same result. So we've verified that it is not the dimmer. In fact, in locations where it isn't working, we've tried upwards of 3 new and 1 known working dimmers and get same result.

Now, if I take the bulbs from a working fixture, and put them in the non-working fixture, they do not work. And the dimmer has no lights on it. No response/power, etc. So I don't know the brand/model of LED bulbs, but they work in some locations and not others. So bulbs should be fine.

My question about the PD-5NE is have others experienced this problem in the past, and using a dimmer with a neutral, have they found that to fix the problem. (My next attempt will be with 6WCL and incandescent bulbs)

I can't promise the PD-5NE will do the trick, but my general advice is to always use the neutral if you have one available -- that cures a lot of ails... I know the 5NEs aren't cheap, but IMHO, they're worth it -- I'm fortunate to have neutrals available, so they're the only Caseta dimmer I use... More forgiving min loads and wider compatibility with dimmer types seal the deal for me. Plus, the Pico-like Favorites button is a nice win.