Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Issues with MRF2S-8SS - switch only - no dimmer

Issues with MRF2S-8SS - switch only - no dimmer

The switch is in my garage. There aren't any HVAC vents in the garage. There aren't any hot items such as a recently driven car, etc.

Issue 1
    I have the timeout set to 1 minute (have tried other time settings too). The lights will not turn off automatically regardless of whether the switch turns on manually or automatically. The only troubleshooting thing I can find is to check for "noise" such as an HVAC vent.

Issue 2
    I would like the auto on function to work regardless of how much ambient light is perceived by the switch. I have the Fixed ALD level set to "High". They aren't coming on automatically during the day. Is there a way to turn this off so it doesn't take ambient light into account?

Regarding issue 2, I've found where one can change the setting to learning ALD so I'm working on that. Still need to solve issue 1.

50+ views and no one has any suggestions as to why the timeout doesn't work?

Lutron Technical Support
    Thank you for your post, DIY22.

For issue #1, we recommend keeping the timeout set for one minute and grabbing something to cover the sensor lens with (towels, shirts, etc.) so that your hand cannot be picked up by the passive infrared sensor, and start a one minute timer. After 60 seconds, does the load turn off?

Yes, the load turns off. I tested several times and they all turned off within about 60 seconds.

So, what does this test mean? Interference somehow? As mentioned, there aren't any HVAC vents. It is more than 10ft from the LED ceiling lights.

Lutron Technical Support
    Since the load did turn off while using something opaque to cover the sensor lens, the Maestro is functioning as it should. This would point to an environmental issue, where something within the sensor's field of view or in close proximity is being interpreted as movement and not allowing the timeout to occur. Aside from any HVAC venting, other factors to consider are network equipment, such as wireless routers or wireless access points.

None of those are close by either. I'm having great difficulty in getting the light to come on too. I thought the learning ALD function would fix it but not having a lot of luck there either. Would a LRF2-OWLB-P function the same way regarding the amount of ambient light and turning on? Does it look at ambient light before functioning? Maybe I could just use a switch that allows control with a LRF2-OWLB-P. Any thoughts?

Well, I went out to the garage 3 times last night after dark. The sensor would not turn the light on even when I waved my hand inches from it. Yesterday morning when I went out to the garage, the light was on so I assume it was on all night. I'm now thinking that I have a defective switch/sensor. If I press the button on the switch, the light will work.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hi,

Please give our Technical Support team a call at 1-888-588-7661. We would be able to go over more detailed troubleshooting steps to see if it's the sensor or if there's something else causing the issue.