Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lutron Bridge (CONNECT-BDG2) drops off network constantly

Lutron Bridge (CONNECT-BDG2) drops off network constantly

We just moved into a new home that has a Lutron lighting system. I am trying to get to the bottom of many different issues with it (no instructions or help from previous owner) and those will no doubt be the subject of future posts.

The most pressing for now is that the Lutron bridge (CONNECT-BDG2) which is connected to a Ubiquiti network (Dream Machine Pro/Switch Pro 48 - also inherited in the new home) with a cable, keeps dropping off the network. If I restart the bridge, it comes back online a few minutes later and works again with the iOS app for anywhere between 12-36 hours then it falls off again.

I am at my wits end with the miserable **** system and just want to be able to turn lights on and off in our new home without fishing around in the pantry with a flashlight.

I thought I had allocated a static IP to the Lutron box via the Ubiquiti app (IP contention seemed to be the most likely cause of my woes) but it's still happening.

Can anyone help me debug the problem or suggest where I can help more help?

I have a similar setup, but without the issues. Lutron RadioRA 2 Main Repeaters are known to sometimes have issues with Ubiquiti networks (more the APs, not the routers), but I've not seen issues with the Connect Bridges.

First, make sure that your UDM-Pro is up to date on both firmware and software. Ubiquiti has a fairly fast release schedule and IMO generally makes the equipment work better. But don't install their betas as they are frequently not stable. IGMP Snooping and Muticast DNS should be turned on.

Next you need to know if the connect bridge is set to a static address. The bridge can be set to a static IP or DHCP in the Lutron RadioRA 2 software. If the bridge is set to a static address and you are setting a fixed DHCP reservation that is different then you may accidentally be causing an issue. If you have the Lutron Windows software you can see the static/DHCP setting on the bridge device page. Your Main Repeater should be on a fixed IP as well, whether static in Lutron or via DHCP reservation.

If you don't have the Lutron software you can get it by doing free online training. If you have any amount of desire to see/manage the system yourself then I highly recommend taking the training. It's easy. If you have a large system (over 100 devices) or your dealer programmed it using 'Inclusive' level software you will need to take the second level training. If you get the software you can also upgrade firmware on the main repeater.

Finally, if none of these solve your issues try calling Lutron as they have some of the best customer service around.

Thank you for the helpful, lengthy answer. I may have solved the problem after speaking to Lutron support which as you assert at the end of your message, was extremely good. They proposed that I swap out the cable and port that the bridge was using to connect to the Ubiquiti 48 port switch. I did that but I suspect more importantly, I moved the bridge itself out of the glass cabinet that houses the Ubiquiti gear and onto the shelf beside it. It's been 3 days now without an issue which is longer than I remember but also a bit unsatisfying. The tech was looking at the device on his console after I gave him the MAC address and said it was "going up and down" many times a day so maybe it was heat related. I didn't change anything when we moved in so as far as I know, it's been like that for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    First, make sure that your UDM-Pro is up to date on both firmware and software. Ubiquiti has a fairly fast release schedule and IMO generally makes the equipment work better. But don't install their betas as they are frequently not stable. IGMP Snooping and Muticast DNS should be turned on.
    I confirmed that the Connect is on a static IP using the Unifi iOS app. I'll check IGMP and Multicast once I reply to this message.

If you don't have the Lutron software you can get it by doing free online training. If you have any amount of desire to see/manage the system yourself then I highly recommend taking the training. It's easy. If you have a large system (over 100 devices) or your dealer programmed it using 'Inclusive' level software you will need to take the second level training. If you get the software you can also upgrade firmware on the main repeater.
    Yes - if my bridge problem is indeed fixed (nervously opens the iOS app and checks for the 50th time today), the next thing on the my "Lutron List" is to program the scenes to match our needs. There are 6 button switches in various parts of the home and pressing a button seems to turn everything off, everything on, enter some kind of panic mode where all the lights flash. I was unable to do anything meaningful in the Lutron app so I suspect I do need to complete the training and get the software.

Thank you again for the suggestions - if the bridge does indeed vanish again, I'll be calling Lutron again.

Heat issues make sense. One does see ethernet cable issues every once in a while too. Keypads are great and you can only program them using the Windows software. You can make them even greater if you add a 3rd party controller to the system. I personally prefer Hubitat as its Lutron integration is very robust as one of the company owners uses RadioRA 2. One example: you can have a single keypad button set a different scene based on time of day. Another good one is the ability to program buttons to control non-Lutron devices. Good luck!

Heat issues make sense. One does see ethernet cable issues every once in a while too. Keypads are great and you can only program them using the Windows software. You can make them even greater if you add a 3rd party controller to the system. I personally prefer Hubitat as its Lutron integration is very robust as one of the company owners uses RadioRA 2. One example: you can have a single keypad button set a different scene based on time of day. Another good one is the ability to program buttons to control non-Lutron devices. Good luck!
    Yep yep - I can see the benefit of keypads near the door for for situations like "all off, we're leaving" - we're using Google pucks to control things now (I *was* able to get that piece working for albeit for single lights) and I quite like it. I maybe should look and see if Google Home can control multiple devices - that might be a viable alternative.

I'm still a little unclear on the software I need to create my own scenes. You mentioned Windows software I need to reprogram the switches - is that the same software I would use to create Scenes based on our preferences?

The previous owner left us some vouchers for laser etched labels for the buttons once we get everything working and configured to our liking - looking forward to that day!

Thanks again.

To get access to the software you have to take at least the 1st level training called "Essentials". Again, if you have more than 100 devices or your system was programmed using "Inclusive" devices or features you'll have to take that 2nd level "Inclusive" training. It's all free and online. You sign up on the Lutron site. At the top of their page is a link for MyLutron. Sign up for an account and then follow the "Learning Hub" links from there.

The programming software runs only on Windows. It is where all scenes are defined, with one exception. You may have a "Homeowner keypad" that is a virtual keypad that lives in the phone app. You can define scenes in the phone app for each button on the Homeowner keypad. The hardest part of using the software is network related. You may have problems uploading the programming from the PC to the system. One way to minimize those issues is to use a wired network connection especially when upgrading firmware.

I don't think Lutron exposes scenes to any of the "big 3" assistants. You can trigger scenes on the assistants via the 3rd party controllers like Hubitat, though. The good thing about Lutron scenes is that all the lights change in s. If you create a routine on an assistant the commands are executed in series and the changes will not be in sync across the different dimmers.