Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is there any consumer grade home control system that integrates with Ra3?

Is there any consumer grade home control system that integrates with Ra3?

I have clients who use Hubitat and HomeSeer. Both work well with Ra2 over good old fashioned Telnet, but neither of them works with Ra3's "superior" LEAP protocol. Home Assistant users are trying to cobble something together but it doesn't work yet. Is there anything I am missing?

You are not missing anything. RA2, and now RA3 was never intended for use with retail control systems. Some of the retail systems expanded into TelNet which allowed them to interface with RA2. It's up to them if they want to add LEAP capability.

I don't think LEAP is necessarily "superior." TelNet has security issues and most manufacturers are moving away from it. IMO, the security issues should be easy to fix but they didn't ask me. :)
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    You are not missing anything. RA2, and now RA3 was never intended for use with retail control systems. Some of the retail systems expanded into TelNet which allowed them to interface with RA2. It's up to them if they want to add LEAP capability.

I don't think LEAP is necessarily "superior." TelNet has security issues and most manufacturers are moving away from it. IMO, the security issues should be easy to fix but they didn't ask me. :)
    It's not as simple as implying Lutron intent that has never been explicitly stated.

The TCP/IP ascii interface (aka 'Telnet') specification is a public document from Lutron.

The LEAP interface requires a direct relationship with Lutron. At this time, I am not aware of any consumer, hobbyist, or prosumer platforms that have been "invited" by Lutron to integrate.

Only major automation companies like Control4, Savant, and a few others have built interfaces to LEAP. In the case of Savant, they charge additional license/subscription fees in order to use LEAP/Lutron with Savant whereas the driver software/integration for the Savant-made lighting control hardware is free. You are welcome to draw your own conclusions.