Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question about using Caseta with a LED fixture that requires a TRIAC dimmer

Question about using Caseta with a LED fixture that requires a TRIAC dimmer

Hello, I recently bought an LED light fixture that requires a TRIAC dimmer. I want to use a Caseta dimmer for this, and after a few searches, it seems to me that the right model would be the PD-10NXD. Can anyone confirm that? I have one caseta install under my belt, but am not feeling 100% confident in this one, hence my request for assistance.

The instructions say to use a Lutron DVELV-300P.

Lutron Technical Support
    The PD-6WCL is a TRIAC based dimmer as well as the PD-10NXD. Interesting that the DVELV is recommended as that is a reverse-phase dimmer while the two Caseta models I mentioned are both forward-phase dimmers. TRIAC dimming uses a forward phase-signal to control the lights. I would use the PD-6WCL as it is the most cost effective and available at most Lowes and Home Depots.

Thank you, I will go that route.

So I successfully installed the fixture with the PD-6WCL, but I have an issue. The light dims properly, but it will not turn off completely. When I press the off button on the switch, it does turn off for approximately 2-3 seconds, then comes right back on. In the Lutron and Home (HomeKit) apps, it shows as off. The same behavior happens with the lutron and home apps when I turn it off from there.

Any ideas of what be happening and how I can fix it?

Lutron Technical Support
    The Caseta dimmer is a digital control. Because of this, there is no mechanical relay inside which turns the lights on and off. As a digital control, there is a very small amount of electrical current that runs through the circuit when the lights are off. Some LEDs react to this current by dimly glowing in the off-state. There is no safety concern with this happening, but there are ways to stop this from happening. The first would be to use LED's that have been tested for compatibility and are listed on the LED Finder Tool, found at www.lutron.com/ledfinder.

Adding a more resistive load, like an incandescent bulb, to this lighting circuit can help. This will help to absorb that leakage current and stabilize the circuit. You could also try a non-digital C•L dimmer, such as the DVCL-153P. Keep in mind using this analog dimmer will prevent you from using a Smart Bridge and Pico remotes.

Closing the loop in this, the PD-5NE fixed the issue. The light now dims and turns off properly. Thanks all for the advice!