Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta dimmer not working from app or via voice control, but works at the switch

Caseta dimmer not working from app or via voice control, but works at the switch

I'm new to Caseta and this is my first post here. I replaced 40+ Insteon pieces with Lutron Caseta and so far it's been a great upgrade. I do have one issue though. I installed a dimmer switch in our bathroom to control two dimmable LED vanity lights. Everything works as expected at the switch; the lights turn on & off and can be dimmed with no problem. However, when I try to turn them on from the app or though voice control via Alexa, the lights don't turn on. The LED on the switch shows that they're on, but the lights don't respond. If I turn them off, they flash on for a brief second & then turn off. I thought it might be a bad switch. So, I replaced it with a different on, but I still have the same problem.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any suggestions on how to fix it?

TIA
    Techhie

Lutron Technical Support
    Very possible it has something to do with the compatibility of the vanity lights and the dimmer you are using. Especially if this is the only location in the home having this issue.

Same issue. Have many many switches and all work fine one dimmer/switch sometimes works from the app and sometimes doesnt. But always works from actual switch. Few other switches next to it same box work fine

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeruby View Post
    Same issue. Have many many switches and all work fine one dimmer/switch sometimes works from the app and sometimes doesnt. But always works from actual switch. Few other switches next to it same box work fine
    Welcome to the forums Joeruby. Are these miscommunicating dimmers and switches all located in one area of your home? How far away (in feet) are these controls from the Caseta hub? Is this Caseta hub located in any metal enclosures? Please ensure it is located in a centralized location!

Thank you. Yes they are all over the house and there are switches that are actually further than this one. This switch is in a room of many switches and all work fine besides for this one. This one works on the actual switch but from the app it sometimes works and schedule as well and sometimes schedule doesnt work and also not from the app. Thinking maybe reset to factory settings and re add to the hub and maybe also add a caseta repeater/extender to that room

Lutron Technical Support
    Those are excellent steps. RF may propagate differently to the switches that are located further in your home. First, we recommend resetting this device (a helpful video on this process can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foHMG1e_F5Q). After a dimmer or switch has been defaulted, it will be completely wiped from the system (schedules and scenes containing this device will need to be reprogrammed). With this in mind, we recommend doing this only on one or two dimmers to test if this reset will help. If it does not, we suggest utilizing a PD-REP-WH repeater in your home to strengthen that signal. Also, you may try and relocate the Caseta hub to a location in your home closer to these devices. If you are utilizing a mesh network system, you can try plugging the hub into a satellite.

1) its the caseta diva dimmer how do i reset that?

2) if i remove it will i need to redo all schedules or just need to add this device back to the schedules that it was in before?

3) PD-REP-WH is that the repeater we are referring to?

Thank you for your help

Lutron Technical Support
    Follow the same triple tap hold and triple tap release process (as demonstrated in the video Brandon linked previously) using the on or off rocker paddle of the Diva Smart Dimmer. I prefer using the on button as to not accidentally put the dimmer back into pairing mode by holding it too long.

Removing the device will not delete the schedule, it will just remove the dimmer from any schedules it is a part of. Once the dimmer has been added back into the app, you can then edit the existing schedule to add the Diva Smart Dimmer back into it.

Yes, the PD-REP-WH is the Caséta Wireless Repeater. Only one repeater can be added to a Caséta system. The repeater should be within 50 feet of the smart hub to reliably repeat the signal from the hub. The repeater does not connect to internet so you don't have to worry about locating an ethernet cable or network device to connect it to.

Thank you. Ill try that