Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Scheduling Scenes

Scheduling Scenes

I have six Caseta dimmer switches (PD-6WCL) installed and setup in the Lutron App with several scenes setup as well. I set these scenes up to model a decommissioned PCS UBP system.

Am I missing something in the Luton App (Version 22.3.5.4)? I can't seem to 'schedule' a scene in the Lutron App as I could with the PCS UPStart software.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Lutron Technical Support
    In Caseta, you cannot schedule the scenes. However, you are able to create a schedule that turns your lights on at certain times and if you are using dimmers, you can also program what level they turn onto. To add a new schedule, you will navigate to the Schedule tab of the Lutron app > Add Schedule. From here, follow the instructions in the app and it will cover naming the schedule, selecting when the schedule is to activate and what devices to use for the schedule. Please keep in mind that when you select the device, you will also need to choose what light level it turns onto.

Another thing worth noting is that you will need to create two schedules. One to turn the lights on and one to turn the lights off.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett S. View Post
    Another thing worth noting is that you will need to create two schedules. One to turn the lights on and one to turn the lights off.
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand the need for two schedules. However, you'd need to create two scenes as well, one that activates the devices in that scene and another that deactivates (turns off) the devices in the scene, essentially just like the schedules? Seems like a lot of duplication is involved with either scenes or schedules. I would like to think in the SCENES tab of the Lutron app, once the scene is tapped to activate it, you could just tap it again to 'deactivate' it - not the case. Any suggestions or is this an item for a feature request?

If you have a Caseta Smart Bridge, you could do your programming outside of the Lutron app using your preferred smart home assistant (Google Home, Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit). I personally don't use Google Home or Alexa, so I can't say what programming flexibility those have. Everyone in my household has iPhone and with Apple HomeKit, I can create and schedule scenes pretty easily.

Lutron Technical Support
    In terms of the Lutron App, the Scenes cannot be toggled and this would be a feature request that will be captured. Thank you

6. Thanks rwdozier thanked for this post
    Toggling scenes is not actually really very useful. Scenes can be combined, any scene can contain any lights from any rooms and also does not need to contain all lights from any room - so this means there is often no known starting state for your scene command - there is only a known ending state for the items in that scene. You cannot undo the scene to revert to the previous state (its not memorized) - all you could do would be to turn off all the lights contained in that scene. To me this is not toggling a scene in any meaningful way. Far better to simply define what you want the next scene to be - maybe an all off for those same lights or perhaps more usefully a movement to lighting elsewhere (e.g. turn off room lights turn on hallway lights etc).

8. Thanks rwdozier thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt H. View Post
    In terms of the Lutron App, the Scenes cannot be toggled and this would be a feature request that will be captured. Thank you
    This is a meaningless request - I suggest you think about it some more.

If you initiate an arbitrary scene 1, then an arbitrary scene2, then an arbitrary scene 3. How do you "toggle" or undo Scene 2?

You don't know the starting light levels that were set in Scene 1, you do know what the Scene 2 changes are - but then they potentially change again in Scene 3 to unknown levels. If you try to undo scene 2 - how do you do it? you don't know what the light levels were before you started scene 2, and you don't even know what they are now...

"Toggling" in this context is utterly meaningless...

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan In Az View Post
    This is a meaningless request - I suggest you think about it some more.

If you initiate an arbitrary scene 1, then an arbitrary scene2, then an arbitrary scene 3. How do you "toggle" or undo Scene 2?

You don't know the starting light levels that were set in Scene 1, you do know what the Scene 2 changes are - but then they potentially change again in Scene 3 to unknown levels. If you try to undo scene 2 - how do you do it? you don't know what the light levels were before you started scene 2, and you don't even know what they are now...

"Toggling" in this context is utterly meaningless...

Alan
    You make a good point.

Since my original post, I have added many more switches to my system and have not even thought about toggling scenes. I had decommissioned a PCS UBP system in which you could 'toggle' scenes and I did not see the option to 'toggle' scenes in the Lutron App. I took out the PCS UPB system because it's just not intuitive unless you deal with every day. Really a PITA and certainly not anything an end user could setup easily.