Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring help

Wiring help

I am new to Lutron casseta. I installed one switch so far without any issues. Now trying to install three switches that control the dining area and kitchen lights. The three switches are in the same plate and wiring is confusing me. I am not an electrician by any means and have no clue about it. I have attached the image here with some labels. Basically, i am confused here because there is a black wire that loops and goes to the adjacent switch. In that case how to do i attach the “loop” to the caseta switch black wire. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DFA31326-90AF-447A-870A-5AF177941D75.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	421.7 KB 
ID:	945

The line hots in those dumb switches are just being dasiy-chained from one to the next. It's a fine & safe technique, but I myself much prefer always doing pigtails instead of daisy chaining.

Because Caseta's wire leads are built-in, you'll need to pigtail the line hots.

How do I do that? How do i separate hots for each?

It appears that they are using the middle switch to connect the 2 hots. One comes from the switch to the left. The other comes from the box and goes to the switch on the right. The easiest solution is to twist the 2 wires coming from the box together and connect a black from each switch to them.

The middle switch appears to be a 3-way. You will need to do something with the other switches that it is connected to.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    It appears that they are using the middle switch to connect the 2 hots. One comes from the switch to the left. The other comes from the box and goes to the switch on the right. The easiest solution is to twist the 2 wires coming from the box together and connect a black from each switch to them.

The middle switch appears to be a 3-way. You will need to do something with the other switches that it is connected to.
    It worked. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Brucewayne View Post
    It worked. Thanks so much!
    Thanks so much for telling us that it worked. Most often the original poster looking for a solution never lets the Caseta community know if we were able to solve the problem.