Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MACL-LFQ Fan Compatibility

MACL-LFQ Fan Compatibility

I've had all sorts of problems getting my MACL-LFQ switches to work with Hunter ceiling fans when LED bulbs are installed. I've tried several different LED bulbs in my old fans (10+ years) and brand new fan that are supposed to be compatible with the dimmer switch. They all cause problems with the fan and light operation in the Hunter fan. If I install incandescent bulbs, then everything works fine. Does anyone recommend a brand of ceiling fan that they are certain is compatible with the MACL-LFQ when LED bulbs are installed? Has anyone experienced a similar problem and found a particular LED bulb that solved the issue? Thanks in advance.

2. Thanks lescoambs thanked for this post
    [QUOTE=helmueller;45864]I've had all sorts of problems getting my MACL-LFQ switches to work with Hunter ceiling fans when LED bulbs are installed. I've tried several different LED bulbs in my old fans (10+ years) and brand new fan that are supposed to be compatible with the dimmer switch. They all cause problems with the fan and light operation in the Hunter fan. If I install incandescent bulbs, then everything works fine. Does anyone recommend a brand of ceiling fan that they are certain is compatible with the MACL-LFQ when LED bulbs are installed? Has anyone experienced a similar problem and found a particular LED bulb that solved the issue? Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=alroy I have also encountered problems with my old Hunter Stratford 20754-300 fan/light using the Lutron MACL-LFQ. I first used GE LED bulbs 44930, and then used GE LED bulbs 93130839. These two lamps are on the Lutron compatibility list. In both cases, the lamps worked well with the MACL-LFQ dimmer when the fan was off, and the fan worked well with the lights off. Only when I turned on both the lights and the fan at the same time did I have problems: the lights dimmed drastically, the fan increased to high speed, and I couldn’t control either and had to stop them at the breaker. Incandescent lamps in the fan/light fixture with the MACL-LCQ work great. I called Lutron Support, and they indicated that most likely there is an incompatibility between the LED and the MACL-LFQ. They indicated that sometimes the LED manufacturers change technology without updating the bulb code numbers. Anyway, they suggested trying different bulbs from different manufacturers, such as Philips. The Philips bulbs that I could find from the list were only available in Canada (both Home Depot Canada and Amazon Canada). However, reviewing the technical specifications from Philips bulb 574871 in Canada which is on the list, I found a Philips bulb 576116 with identical specifications that is available from Amazon in the US, although not on the Lutron list. I’ve ordered the bulbs and they’re coming in two weeks, so I’ll see if they work.
    I’m not sure a new fan/light will help since you would still have the MACL-LFQ controller and the need for a compatible LED light. Unless the fan/light wiring makes a difference. My hunter fan/light has two power lines, one to the lights and one to the fan, with one shared neutral. I wonder if totally separated light and fan lines would work, since in my case both the LEDs and fan worked (at least for the short time I tested them) when the other was off. Does anyone have an idea on this? Presently, I’m using incandescent bulbs, and everything works fine.=alroy]

I received the Philips 576116 LED bulbs and they are working fine. The LEDs were from the Philips Ultra Definition, Eye Comfort brand and the model number on the box is 9290030832. I'll add another note if I have problems with these LED bulbs in the future.

I cannot purchase incandescent bulbs in North Carolina, so I'm in search of a led that works. Tried 2 GE bulbs (91321643 and 93122139) which are on the approved list but causes the dimmer to have fits.

The Philips Ultra Definition, Eye Comfort LED bulbs 576116 (Model Number 9290030832 on the box) are still working fine for me with the MACL-LFQ switch. As I described above, these bulbs are not on the approved list but their specifications matched those of a LED bulb on the list. I obtained my LED bulbs from Amazon, but I think they are also available in Home Depot.