Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pd-6wcl doa?

Pd-6wcl doa?

I'm starting to convert my home to Caseta. I've installed four PD-6WCL dimmers so far.

Two of the four have worked flawlessly: they worked physically immediately, were added to the app with no problems, and work well with Google.

The other two show the following behavior:
    • They're passing-through power to the fixture at all times: the dimmer won't turn it off
    • The dimmer displays no flashing lights or any sign that it's "alive" (no lights at all)
    • Attempts to add the switch to the app don't work
    • Attempts to reset the switch to factory, per the instructions, don't work--the switch shows no sign of responding to any of my actions.

I used exactly the same process (following in-box guidance exactly) to install the working and the non-working switches; in fact, one of the working ones and one of the nonworking ones coexist inside the same 3-gang box. The switches were bought at the same time from the same supplier.

I need to determine if I've done something wrong or if I got a couple of bad switches. I don't own electrical diagnostic equipment, but I plan to install quite a few more of these switches, so I would be willing to buy something (reasonably priced) if it would help diagnose and fix these problems going forward.

Lutron Technical Support
    When you pull out the FASS tab on the bottom of the dimmer, do the lights turn off? Are the dimmers wired as single pole switches or 3-way? Also, what kind of lights are you controlling on the non-working dimmers? If they are LED lights, ensure they are dimmable.

Thanks, Kyle; to your questions:

1. I've pulled out the FASS tab until it hits a stop (maybe 3/8"). The lights remain on.
    2. Both dimmers are SP, not 3-way.
    3. 75w equiv LED bulb. Bulbs are the same as in the working fixtures; definitely dimmable.

Next steps, please?

Lutron Technical Support
    When the FASS is pulled, it makes a physical break in the electrical connection inside of the dimmer preventing any power from going through the controls. If you disconnect one side of the dimmer from the wall, do the lights in the ceiling remain on?

Thanks! I thought that might be the case (the FASS does shut off the switches that are working). I'll confirm it--but it's not obvious where the circuit is completing if not through the switch, or what I could have done to create that situation. I've inspected the wiring: there are no bare wires touching to create a short. If you have any practical advice on what else to look for, I'd be grateful.