Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can I power an RRD-W6BRL keypad from what used to be a 4 way switch?

Can I power an RRD-W6BRL keypad from what used to be a 4 way switch?

RadioRA2 system. I had a 4 way circuit powering a group of recessed lights. It's got an RRD-6CL master dimmer at the load side, and had two remote dimmers at the other two locations. I pulled the middle remote dimmer which was wired up like a 4way switch, connected black to black, white to white, and swapped the white and load-black on the master dimmer. The lights work perfectly, and the black and white wires I connected in the middle location both read 120v with the lights on or off. But I tried connecting the RRD-W6BRL to that middle spot and just added the black wire to the black group, and white to white group but there seems to be no power to the keypad. I tried a second one (both brand new) and same result, no power. Is what I'm doing here not going to work?

It should work. You are probably measuring the switch leg (brass screw) side of the 6CL. You need to find the switch box that has the actual switch leg, that is where the 6CL goes. The W6BRL can go in ether of the other 2 locations.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	941

3. Thanks jdbnsn thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodside Electric View Post
    It should work. You are probably measuring the switch leg (brass screw) side of the 6CL. You need to find the switch box that has the actual switch leg, that is where the 6CL goes. The W6BRL can go in ether of the other 2 locations.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	941

Thank you. I actually figured it out last night. My neutrals in the 4way box were hot but there were other leads to tap into and now it's all good. Thanks!