Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with a 3-way Caseta install.

Help with a 3-way Caseta install.

Looking for a sanity check on an 3-way light circuit that I'm switching out smart switches.

Here's the scenario:

1. Box A is a single gang box that has a 14-3 wire and a 14-2 wire in it. It appears the 14-2 wire here goes to the light fixture in this circuit. The 14-3 wire goes to Box B.

2. Box B is a double gang box that has the 14-3 wire in it, along with 2 other 14-2 wires. It appears that power enters into this box on one of the 14-2 wires and then power exits to an secondary(unrelated) ceiling light via the other 14-2. The outgoing/old 3-way switch in this box had a black wire connected to the black screw and it was pigtailed with the other blacks in the box. The red and black wires from the 14-3 were connected to the brass screws.

I've put the PICO on Box B side, so I took all three wires connected to the original outgoing switch and connected them in a wire nut.

Moving back to Box A, I hooked things up as per Lutron's instructions -- they suggest to identify the common (the wire attached the black screw on the old switch) and connect it to the black wire on the new dimmer. And then take the others (the red and black wire from the 14-3) and connect it with the red wire on the new dimmer.

Did that, and lights didn't work. In the original config, the wire connected to the black screw in Box A was connected to the black wire that looks like it's headed to the light fixture.

I then swapped the wires around in the Single gang box (Box A) -- I connected the black wire on the Lutron dimmer with both the red and black from the 14-3 (from Box B) and connected the red wire on the new dimmer with the black wire that looked to be headed to the fixture. Low and behold, this works.

So I'm just curious if i'm missing something -- this isn't what Lutron shows in their diagram (unless I'm looking at the wrong one?)

I want to make sure this sounds correct before I close everything back up.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello. Not sure where you saw the documentation where it says to connect the black from the Caseta to the load wire that goes to your lights. On the advanced programming guide, it shows the red wire going to the lights. The way you have it set up now is correct.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	936

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L. View Post
    Hello. Not sure where you saw the documentation where it says to connect the black from the Caseta to the load wire that goes to your lights. On the advanced programming guide, it shows the red wire going to the lights. The way you have it set up now is correct.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	10 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	936

In that document, I was looking at the instructions for the ELV dimmer (I'm using the PD-5NE-WH). It shows this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lutron.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	937

Lutron Technical Support
    It is a bit unclear from that particular diagram. On page 22, it shows both line-side wiring and load-side wiring. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	8 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	938

Answering my own question. Following this diagram, (the second option is the config I'm using) which makes sense:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lutron-2.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	939

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L. View Post
    It is a bit unclear from that particular diagram. On page 22, it shows both line-side wiring and load-side wiring. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	8 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	938
    Yup, thanks for the help :)