Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Ra3 Wishlist

Having a frustrating Ra3 day so throwing it all out here hoping Lutron is listening.
    Copy keypad programming does not copy engraving. Only programming.
    Neither does just copying one button.
    Do not need to be reminded that some buttons are blank. I know. I can see it.
    What ever room the processor is in shows in the android app even if that's the only thing in it. Doesn't show equipment just room. I have the latest app.
    Mouse just disappeared in 22.2.0.5227. Can see it jumping around because the menus move as it passes over. Working fine in all other open apps.
    No low end check.
    No pathway or the HW equivalent Toggle with Scene logic is killing me.
    Why does programming default to press/release? I have tried many ways to use it and it's of no use. Has no one at Lutron looked at the software?
    Transfer over WIFI is waaaaay better. Ra2 I only trans on WIFI if I have no other choice.
    I dig being able to group rooms.

2. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchE View Post
    Be able to change a Dimmer to switch or vise versa with out having to delete and re program.
    Like, ah, Ra2.?
    Just got to my job that I did some office programming then show up and electrician changed loads types.
    Thanks for your question. If you entered a dimmer on the Design tab of the project and it needs to be changed to a Switch, the dimmer will need to be deleted and then the switch will need to be added in its place. Hope this helps guide you in the direction.

I would love to see something like the pico remote but in the style of a Sunnata dimmer or toggle switch. I have some locations in which I cannot run any wires (not even just hot + neutral without a lot of effort) and the pico remotes are the perfect solutions. It would look so much better if the remotes were consistent with my Sunnata switches, though.

5. Likes miked212 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Yeah when I look at the timeline of where Lutron went from a engineering/customer centric lighting control company to hostile Steve Jobs type of attitude towards customers and installers the Ketra purchase is a giant blinking red light.

The first clue that things were getting weird was when QSX came out and they just flat-out got rid of RPM support. This still blows my mind. I remember asking the webinar hosts about all the existing RPM panels that work perfectly and all the host said was "I think we can all agree that modules do a better job of dimming" which was a deflection because there is no argument there, but is it $60,000 better? because that's going to be the average cost to replace an entire existing system versus just the processor and a few wireless devices. For those, Lutron says "QS isn't going anywhere!" but then when new devices like wire-free shades and outdoor plugs coming out which weren't compatible with Ra2 or QS which when convenient, Lutron points out that they are still current systems and "aren't going anywhere"...except they are already being left out. So currently Lutron is not making new devices compatible with the older yet "current" QS and Ra2 systems, and they are making it impossible to upgrade existing systems to the newest system to take advantage of the newer devices. This Lutron is unrecognizable to me.

I've been fine with not having shades because I don't know any shade companies anywhere near me who also do lighting so there is mutual respect between us and either they do their own thing and run the wires and install the shades or we run the wires for them and they install the shades and then we add it to the programming. Everybody stays in their own lane and we work together well.

Ketra...I just don't get it. I work in mostly luxury homes and stay on the electrical and lighting side of things for a couple of decades now and I have NEVER seen Ketra in any house. I've seen a lot of hue lights that people try to tie together with their lighting system with a weird patch work so it would have been nice to make a deal with Phillips to make them compatible, but Ketra just creates more confusion and division. As it currently stands, only the biggest Lutron dealers can afford to have a showroom, training, and provide Ketra to a customer. I'm in a major city and don't know a single one but I'm sure sooner or later, one of these bigger audio/video companies will becomes Ketra dealer and then start convincing their builder to let them do not just AV, not just lighting, but also get into lighting and completely shut out the electricians who will ultimately be the ones who are called when one of those lights doesn't work. It's a recipe for disaster in my view. Let's say 5 years from now I'm called to take over a house with Ketra and I'm not a ketra dealer. Can I even service it? Can I even get parts? I go through a supplier and they're not a Ketra dealer. And now thanks to Ketra tinytask, we have even more division with Sunnata and 2.4 GHz devices.

I still love Lutron's products but they really need to sit down and think what they want to be. The old Lutron did that. "we only do lighting controls"
    i too have doubt about this, is there any body to help me for adding this.

I would find it helpful if the activation window listed the devices by location, copying the design tree. It's a bear to find a particular device when it's done by serial #. Right now I'm looking thru around 80 devices to deactivate a single device that is giving me issues.

Having a frustrating Ra3 day so throwing it all out here hoping Lutron is listening.
    What ever room the processor is in shows in the android app even if that's the only thing in it. Doesn't show equipment just room. I have the latest app.
    Mouse just disappeared in 22.2.0.5227. Can see it jumping around because the menus move as it passes over. Working fine in all other open apps.
    No low end check.
    Why does programming default to press/release? I have tried many ways to use it and it's of no use. Has no one at Lutron looked at the software?
    Transfer over WIFI is waaaaay better. Ra2 I only trans on WIFI if I have no other choice.
    You got your wish for a scene toggle!

9. Likes Bill13 liked this post

Grafik T and Grafik Keypad, Hybrid Keypad no upgrade path

Lutron is missing on a big opportunity to capture all existing install base for upgrade from a customer, retailers and installer loyalty.
    Many large installs have at least one Grafik keypad and many high-end have Grafik T and Grafik hybrid keypad.
    May I suggest instead of ignoring these large sources of upgrade path to continue supporting the Grafik line in RA3, at least from a software perspective.

Lutron has a big advantage with the existing install base, why ignoring them?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    My biggest frustration with Ra3 is that it is not 100% backwards compatible with Ra2 and it can absolutely prevent existing Loyal customers to not update their systems, take advantage of new products coming out (like the outdoor outlet, wire free shades, etc.) and create needless frustration for installers. I hope Lutron reconsiders removing these things from Ra3:

• Grafik Eye and Wall Mount module support. For the life of me, I can't understand why Lutron would do away with these and not only prevent those with existing Ra2 systems from upgrading to Ra3, but also prevent those with older Radio Ra (Classic) systems, and even those with standalone GRX grafik Eye systems. I remember we did a house 20 years ago that has 6 zone Grafik Eyes and remotes all over it and one of these days, they'll want to update it. Except we can't because those are in 4 gang boxes and they have 6 zones. They spent thousands of dollars with fancy wood trims. We'd have to delete or merge 2 zones to put in dimmers. It makes no sense. I have another house that has 7 wall mount modules in an equipment room. They are out of luck too. I have another customer with a series 4 Homeworks Illuminations system that has a couple of them...it'd be perfect for Ra3, but nope. I recently had a old Radio Ra customer with 8 grafik eyes, but we had to sell them Ra2 instead because there was no room to add more dimmers and Homeworks QSX cost more.
    • Grafik T support. Again, this makes no sense. I was never a fan of Grafik T because it looked ugly and engraving had to be done before ordering or they'd have to pay twice for it. But I know someone who has that all over their house. What's going to happen to them if they want wire free shades or in 5 years can't get Ra2?
    • Old Thermostat and other temperature control support. I know, it's discontinued. fine. Don't sell any new ones. But like it or not, people shelled out $500 each for those things plus god knows how much for the HVAC modules...At least let them keep them.
    • "Path of Light" support. Come on...this one is easy. Just today the homeowner told me they hated my "entertain" button because they couldn't turn it off later. In Ra2, you can't have a path of light global scene (it uses Room logic) but fortunately it was Ra2 so I just converted it to a Path of light and copied and pasted the scene a few times and voila! I dread having to upgrade this house in 5 years and converting my toggled scenes into a toggled room button and getting an ear full.
    • Telnet support. I know this is a losing battle but Telnet is so simple and universal. Give a huge warning about it, but keep it.

Well at least they brought back "Path of Light" and renamed it to what it used to be called - toggle scene. I doubt if they'll bring back the other things though. Funny part about Grafik T is that I talked a customer out of getting it 2 years ago. They were asking me about it and I told them that it wasn't right for them because it wouldn't let them keep some of their existing switches as there were no other devices that would fit in the cutout. I also mentioned that Lutron hadn't really added anything new for it. I lost the sale but I don't think they'll ever realize the bullet they dodged.

12. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    No low end check.
    2nd the WiFi comment and the grouping of rooms has been fantastic, I will add doing timeclock events is also much easier.

Same thing almost happened to me in 2019. This was a multi property bid and I talked them out of Grafik T because like you I noticed the line seemed dead. I have not gone back and said anything because it does make Lutron look bad. However, next year I will tell them about Ra3, the ability to easily change programing remotely is a huge upsell for properties that involve a day of travel each way. Although I enjoy being paid to sit in the airport or a plane and make money, so I will miss that:).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast