Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designer Software won't load in Windows 11

Designer Software won't load in Windows 11

I made a mistake a few months back, and upgrades my Office Desktop to Windows 11. Since then I have been un-able to get Designer to run on this computer.

Here is a list of things i have tried:
    1. delete all versions of Lutron software and re-install fresh.
    2. delete all versions of Lutron software, re-install starting with Ver 6, and try and work up to current, Highest version that will run is Ver. 8
    3. Every time I Install, I do so as Administrator
    4. Every tine I run Program I do as Administrator
    5. I re-try install after every Windows 11 update or Lutron Update.
    6. With Designer 22, that just came out i have gotten a bit closer, it gets much closer to running, and actually gives me an error code now. See below......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lutron Designer Error.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	935

Looking for any help, Thanks in advance.

-- Jeff
    Premier Sight and Sound

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3369 View Post
    I made a mistake a few months back, and upgrades my Office Desktop to Windows 11. Since then I have been un-able to get Designer to run on this computer.

Here is a list of things i have tried:
    1. delete all versions of Lutron software and re-install fresh.
    2. delete all versions of Lutron software, re-install starting with Ver 6, and try and work up to current, Highest version that will run is Ver. 8
    3. Every time I Install, I do so as Administrator
    4. Every tine I run Program I do as Administrator
    5. I re-try install after every Windows 11 update or Lutron Update.
    6. With Designer 22, that just came out i have gotten a bit closer, it gets much closer to running, and actually gives me an error code now. See below......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lutron Designer Error.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	935

Looking for any help, Thanks in advance.

-- Jeff
    Premier Sight and Sound
    Hi. Check the system requirements PDF on the Lutron site. There is known issue with WIN11. See the quoted text below :

" Lutron recommends Windows 10 for Lutron Designer because there is a known compatibilityissue between Microsoft Windows 11 and Microsoft SQL 2019 that causes Lutron Designer to beunable to start on some PCs. You can find more info here - https://docs.microsoft.com/enus/trou...sk-sector-size. To determine if your Windows 11PC will be able to run Lutron Designer, open up a command prompt as an administrator and runthe following command: fsutil fsinfo sectorinfo C: | findstr PhysicalBytesPerSectorForAtomicity Ifthe response is less than or equal to 4096, your Windows 11 PC will be able to run LutronDesigner. If the response is greater than 4096, your Windows 11 PC cannot run Lutron Designer as of March 2022."

3. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Thanks so much for the reply.

Mine came up at 4096 exactly, i will have to dig deeper.

When does Lutron expect to fix this? I still have a windows 10 laptop but the way these things usually work for me is that the laptop dies suddenly (last time some sort of power issue) mid-job and then I run to Costco to get a new laptop, go back to jobsite and download the bare minimum I need to finish the day's work, and that's that.

Lutron Technical Support
    Updating the Designer software to be Windows 11 compatible is being worked on as we speak. While we don't have an exact date, it would be safe to say that's its coming sooner than later. Stay tuned to the myLutron site and, if you're subscribed to any newsletters for the systems, your email!

7. Thanks SparkyCoog thanked for this post
    The warning came late. IMO Lutron should have email broadcast a warning to dealers as soon as the issue appeared. We reverted to using older, slow as molasses laptops for QS and RA2...

I had no problem with Designer 2 and RA3 on Win11. For the heck of it I ran the prompt and came up with 512.

Issues are QS and RA2. Newer versions will not load with Win11.

What does Windows show if you right click the Designer installer, pick properties, and click details? Post a screenshot.

Solution to WIN 11 issue

Solution: Clean out the computer and install the latest WIN11 (or WIN10) OS. I chose the latest WIN11 and the issue went away.

Background: Upgraded to WIN11 fairly early, about 2 months after its release. Later discovered the WIN11 version (which Microsoft delivered) contained a kernel error which can not be repaired.

Issues with several other apps in addition to Lutron and a key Dell app led to the discovery.

Notes:

Reverting to WIN10 is a surefire fix. However, when downloading I noticed a newer, updated WIN11 image was available.

I took a chance with the new WIN11 image (more secure OS than WIN10). This fixed the issues, all prior troublesome apps, including Lutron now install and run.

My computer is a Dell Precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Takies P. View Post
    Hi. Check the system requirements PDF on the Lutron site. There is known issue with WIN11. See the quoted text below :

" Lutron recommends Windows 10 for Lutron Designer because there is a known compatibilityissue between Microsoft Windows 11 and Microsoft SQL 2019 that causes Lutron Designer to beunable to start on some PCs. You can find more info here - https://docs.microsoft.com/enus/trou...sk-sector-size. To determine if your Windows 11PC will be able to run Lutron Designer, open up a command prompt as an administrator and runthe following command: fsutil fsinfo sectorinfo C: | findstr PhysicalBytesPerSectorForAtomicity Ifthe response is less than or equal to 4096, your Windows 11 PC will be able to run LutronDesigner. If the response is greater than 4096, your Windows 11 PC cannot run Lutron Designer as of March 2022."

13. Likes Bill13 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast