Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Trouble with older RA-3LD Table Lamp Dimmers

Trouble with older RA-3LD Table Lamp Dimmers

I picked up a few of these used on eBay (my first mistake). They're not the latest model (2nd mistake). Lutron says they should be compatible with RA2 but I can't get them to activate. First off, the latest RA2 software doesn't have this model so I was trying by using the newer model when adding in design mode. Lutron said that would be the best approach but they weren't sure if that would work.

Tried by manually entering the serial but that didn't work either. Then I tried a factory reset and being told that all RA2 dimmers use the same method with the three quick taps and hold and it goes into a mode with flashing moving lights and then three more taps. I can't get it into that mode where the LED lights flash up and down. So now I don't know if these are bricked, not really supported or just broken.

Anyone have any experience with this model. I suspect it's a 10 year old model and was replaced with the MRF2-3LD.

Sorry Tom but this number is for Ra classic also know as original Ra. Ra2 is RRD-3LD

3. Likes wkearney99, Bill13 liked this post
    That was an original Ra series device. As far as I can recall none of the original Ra devices will work on Ra2 or Ra3. It's odd that whatever support person you spoke with didn't immediately pick up on this.

The MRF2-3LD will also NOT work on Ra2/3, as it's a standalone system. Technologically they're "the same" but they're definitely not capable of being integrated with Ra2/3.

For Ra2/3 integration you'd need an RRD-3LD (table top control), RR-3PD (inline dimmer) or RR-15APS (inline 15A switch). Note that the 3LD and 3PD dimmers can be programmed to act as on/off. Handy for task lighting and such that can't be dimmed.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchE View Post
    Sorry Tom but this number is for Ra classic also know as original Ra. Ra2 is RRD-3LD
    ****. I saw the different model number from the very original version so thought this was the newest model:( Didn't realize there were three different models. Hopefully I can find a buyer for these three.

Quote Originally Posted by tomn68 View Post
    ****. I saw the different model number from the very original version so thought this was the newest model:( Didn't realize there were three different models. Hopefully I can find a buyer for these three.
    Lutron's model numbers are... sometimes inconsistent. RR, RRD, LRF2-(several), etc. Maestro, Caseta, Ra2/3, HWQS all have devices that provide the same/similar functionality but each require their own unique variant of them. What works on one generally WILL NOT work on the others. Some of the Pico units are the exception (but even then there's limits).

It's important to always check Lutron's website for a model number before buying anything. DO NOT ASSUME.