Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Add Device fails

Exclamation Add Device fails

I had successfully installed a PD-6WCL (dimmer), however the single LED load flickered on startup. The flicker/blinking stopped after a relatively long period of time but it looked silly. Adding a LUT-MLC did not help. The lamp is one of a set of landscape lighting devices; I had no interest in experimenting with bulb swaps. So I decided to replace the PD-6WCL with a switch.

I replaced it with a PD-5ANS. The PD-5ANS seems to have no trouble with the LED (it comes on without flicker). However when I go to the Lutron App (version 22.0.5.4) and do Settings>Add Device the PD-5ANS is not found. I am doing these steps:

1. Settings>Add Device
    2. Choose In-Wall Dimmer, Switch and Fan Control (should that "and" be "or"?)
    3. At the BOTTOM of that screen there are icons for Dimmer / Dimmer with Preset / Switch / Fan
    4. It is not clear if you are supposed to select one first, or if one of these icons will "select" automatically when a device is recognized. Pre-selecting Switch did not seem to help or make any difference.
    5. I follow the Press and Hold for 10 seconds instructions. The green LED on the PD-5ANS blinks quickly. But nothing happens in the Lutron App.

This device is installed in the same j box where the PD-6WCL dimmer, following the same procedure, successfully linked to the Smart Bridge.

I have gone through the tap three times, hold for 3 seconds, release, tap three more times ritual 2-3 times to no effect. I can get the switch into a state where the one green LED is blinking slowly, so I believe I am performing the procedure correctly. I cannot see the light from the jbox location so if that is a firm requirement for this setup please say so and I will abandon the effort.

You need to select the appropriate device type from the four choices at the bottom of the screen. If you are still having problems adding it, contact Lutron customer service as the device may be defective.

3. Thanks ralden thanked for this post
    I did. That does not fix anything. What's the best way to "contact Lutron customer service"?

If the device is "defective" that will be disappointing. I only have purchased six so far and if one is defective that's really bad luck. All purchased new from Amazon. I am searching for something better than Insteon, not the same or worse.

OK. I found it:

Technical Support 24/7 +18445887661
    and "email"
    https://www.lutron.com/en-US/pages/S...x?troubleshoot

Quote Originally Posted by ralden View Post
    I did. That does not fix anything. What's the best way to "contact Lutron customer service"?
    24/7 Tech Support is available by calling 1-844-588-7661.

8. Thanks ralden thanked for this post
    Such terrible industrial design; costing Lutron millions in unnecessary support costs. The Lutron Support Center was "nice" but they repeated the mandate that you must observe the load to make it work. After I rewired the fixture (again) to insert a temporary light bulb and followed the tap-tap-tap, stare at the microscopic LED, tap-tap-tap ritual again, I finally got it to pair. After 15+ years and thousands of dollars in the primeval swamp known as "Insteon" the search for intelligent life in the home automation universe continues. Lutron ain't it.

The link below is a demo of the reset procedure. You will note that he presses 4 or 5 times at the beginning and at the end. He does that to make sure he gets 3 taps in the required time frame.

If you have the neutral connected you should not need a load to do the reset.

I've dealt with a lot of tech support and Lutron's is probably the best in the business. Most companies won't even talk to you if you are not even a current dealer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/msuopf2ppe....MOV?dl=0Video
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

11. Thanks ralden thanked for this post
    Likes Hydro liked this post