Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Recessed MR16 Halogen lights flashing when at 100%

Recessed MR16 Halogen lights flashing when at 100%

In a hallway with 5 recessed MR16 halogen lights which are on RA2 Maestro dimmers, if run at 100% all the lights start to flash. If I dim it to 79% they stop. I have other rooms with these lights that don't have this issue.

I was messing around with a dimmer where I was trying to set the default dim level before realizing that this was programed via RA2 which I think means I can't manually set the switch. We just moved in so I don't know if this is how it was before or something changed. Any ideas?

Tom

How quickly do they flash, and are they all in perfect sync or not? It could be that the transformer/fixture is in thermal protection, which would cause it to flash on and off (although usually it’s on-off every few minutes). Dimming would help as the bulbs produce less heat.

I would try temporarily swapping in a standard $1 light switch to see if it’s a fixture issue or a RadioRA issue.

What is the model number of the dimmer and what type of transformer is supplying the MR16s?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Evan, They flash in unison and they flash somewhat fast. Not flicker fast. At this speed it made me feel as if this was more alert like. It happens from a cold start so it doesn't seem like they're overheating although I do know these bulbs throw off heat. I do have others on a different switch not having an issue.

Hey Randy - Unfortunately I don't know which model they are without taking one out of the box but I suspect they're RA2 Maestro Dimmers and a Pico remote. Also unfortunately, I don't know the type of transformer is in place without pulling out one of the lights. All I really know is that they're 4" halogen gimbal recessed lights
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    What is the model number of the dimmer and what type of transformer is supplying the MR16s?
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by tomn68 View Post
    In a hallway with 5 recessed MR16 halogen lights which are on RA2 Maestro dimmers, if run at 100% all the lights start to flash. If I dim it to 79% they stop. I have other rooms with these lights that don't have this issue.

I was messing around with a dimmer where I was trying to set the default dim level before realizing that this was programed via RA2 which I think means I can't manually set the switch. We just moved in so I don't know if this is how it was before or something changed. Any ideas?

Tom
    Lutron would recommend verifying the model number of the dimmer first. Secondly, the type of transformer would also need to be verified. Please utilize out application note for dimming MR-16's- the application note can be found on the link below: https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...ary/048559.pdf

Usually, halogen MR-16 lights don't have any issues with dimming unless they are on an electronic low voltage transformer and the dimmer is a forward phase/MLV dimmer. That's why it's important to know what type of dimmer it is and what type of transformer. It could also be that you have overloaded the transformer for the lights which manages to work when it's not getting enough voltage to go over the wattage limit and when full, it craps out.

In the last few years however, the vast majority of issues I see is when people replace those halogen MR-16 lights with LED MR-16s...that's when trouble begins. The old RR-6D dimmers work ok with some LEDs if you have a lot of lights on the same switch. If you have one or two fixtures, the transformers tend to not like them and they make a loud thud sound. I was at one house recently where their 6NA dimmers (which were set for forward phase) were also causing havoc and actually killed one of the dimmers and they moved back to halogen. I mention this because I want to make sure those are actually halogen and not LED...LEDs can look like halogens nowadays.