Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inherited an RA2 Setup - What Can and Can't I do?

Inherited an RA2 Setup - What Can and Can't I do?

So I bought an apartment that has a Control4 system (which is another story) and a RA2 with maybe 20 Maestros dimmers. The Control4 is integrated with the RA2 in someway since I can set presets for the C4 panels. I've installed Casetta/Bridge as well as some standard Maestros in the past but RA2 is new to me. The previous owner didn't give me much in terms of instructions except to say that if I needed to change any lighting settings I need to bring in a Lutron programmer.

The dimmers are all set with a preset level that is basically movie watching levels through the entire house and it's driving me nuts. Guests don't know how to use the switches and don't know to double tap to go to full brightness. Previously with other lutrons I could use the manual switch programming to set the level but from what I can tell, once programmed through the RA2, you have to use the Lutron app with login that the dealer provides. Well, that either didn't happen or the owner doesn't know what the login is.

So I guess my question is, do I need to get a Lutron installer/programmer in to set my default levels as well as set up app access so I have some level of control over these switches and if so, can that be done remotely in some way or am I on the hook for a in-house visit for this? Can I somehow do this myself with Lutron software?

Thanks for the help.

You can take Lutron's free online training to get access to RadioRA 2 'Essentials' Windows PC software. If you have a single main repeater that should work for you. If you have 2 main repeaters you'll need 'Inclusive' level. I don't know how Lutron is handling Inclusive training now that RadioRA 3 is out in the market. It used to be 2.5 days with a fee.

The easiest path might be to use a Control4 programmer/dealer. They will almost certainly be able to also do your Lutron configuration. If you're wanting to add any of your devices to the system you'll probably need one anyway. Local dealers can be found for about $100/hr. There are good remote programmers found for less. Google for them or check out c4forums.com. Note that remote programming of RadioRA 2 can be a bit of a pain, you'll need a TeamViewer type app running locally.

Changing the default level is easy in the Lutron RadioRA 2 program. You might need to see how the Control4 system is interacting with the lighting. There are potential interactions that may not be obvious.

Thanks BillD. Sounds like the best approach. With Casetta I was able to set schedules. Any idea if that is something I end up doing if I did have Essentials access or would this end up falling under C4?

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    You can take Lutron's free online training to get access to RadioRA 2 'Essentials' Windows PC software. If you have a single main repeater that should work for you. If you have 2 main repeaters you'll need 'Inclusive' level. I don't know how Lutron is handling Inclusive training now that RadioRA 3 is out in the market. It used to be 2.5 days with a fee.

The easiest path might be to use a Control4 programmer/dealer. They will almost certainly be able to also do your Lutron configuration. If you're wanting to add any of your devices to the system you'll probably need one anyway. Local dealers can be found for about $100/hr. There are good remote programmers found for less. Google for them or check out c4forums.com. Note that remote programming of RadioRA 2 can be a bit of a pain, you'll need a TeamViewer type app running locally.

Changing the default level is easy in the Lutron RadioRA 2 program. You might need to see how the Control4 system is interacting with the lighting. There are potential interactions that may not be obvious.

If your RA2 system has a connect bridge you can use the Connect app to do pretty much everything you could in Caseta. The connect bridge looks just like the Caseta bridge. Older models (CONNECT-BDG) were white. New model (CONNECT-BDG2) is black. I'm not sure if the older white model is still supported. The newer model is required for Apple and voice control.

It is a different app. You will want the "Connect" app.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by tomn68 View Post
    Thanks BillD. Sounds like the best approach. With Casetta I was able to set schedules. Any idea if that is something I end up doing if I did have Essentials access or would this end up falling under C4?
    There are 4 potential ways of setting a schedule:
    1) In C4 via when/then web page. Or Composer HE. Requires 4Sight subscription
    2) In Essentials software
    3) Via Lutron Connect phone app (CONNECT-BDG2 required as stated above)
    4) Via Apple Home app (iPhone) (CONNECT-BDG2 required)

All of them work. If you have other lights in addition to RadioRA 2 in C4, then C4 might be best. The easiest are the phone apps. Just know that if you choose more than 1 route you need to know which system is doing what.

From using the IOS Lutron Connect app in demo mode it doesn't look like I can set the default dim levels for the physical dimmers. I'll have to get a pro and/or see if I can figure out how to take this free online training to get access to the essentials software.

Yes, the default is only settable using the Lutron 'Essentials' or 'Inclusive' software. You can sign up for training after setting up a MyLutron account - link at the top lutron.com. I'd suggest using a dealer especially if you are going to use the C4 system. The change should take less than an hour for a system with 25 dimmers. There's the possibility that your system was programmed using 'inclusive' by a dealer, which means that even if you get 'essentials' software that you won't be able to open the file to do the programming yourself. You'd essentially have to reset and re-program the system, which isn't hard for that many devices, but it would likely screw up your C4 integration.