Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Frustrated with Caseta

Frustrated with Caseta

I'm really frustrated with the lack of conditional logic in Caseta. I recently set up a Caseta motion sensor to trigger a Caseta smart switch. I want it to be dim at night and on normally during the day.

To do this I had to either:
    1) reprogram it manually every day.
    2) Use Smartthings or Homekit to adjust the brightness based on the time of day, and deal with latency issues.
    3) Buy another hub just to do one thing.

I'm currently going with option 2. But I regret going with Caseta because of the absurd lengths I have to go to do things that should be available natively. It's an artificial limitation that has absolutely no business being there given Caseta's price point.

Option 4

I guess I could also buy another motion sensor and have it trigger the same switch at different times, but that is a cartoonish way to have to solve this simple problem.

All good points. This is a user forum. You would have a better chance of the right people at Lutron seeing it if you use the contact us link at the bottom of the main page.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

No Lutron system short of HomeWorks has much conditional programming.

My recommendation is to use a 3rd party hub. Any will give you close to HomeWorks level conditional programming. The 'best' IMO is Hubitat. Works great with Lutron. 2 issues for Caséta: Hubitat requires the 'Pro' bridge (L-BDGPRO2) and non-Lutron motion sensors as motion sensor activity is not reported outside of the Pro bridge. An alternative is to use Home Assistant. HA works with the standard bridge and Lutron motion sensors. But Home Assistant is potentially a bit more maintenance intensive. An added benefit of using the 3rd party hub is that there is a greater selection of sensors available. Lutron's are great. But they are bulky. There are others, especially Zigbee, that can be much less intrusive.

5. Likes Hydro liked this post