Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: QSE-IO shared common issue?

QSE-IO shared common issue?

The QSE-IO has 5 outputs. 1 and 2 share a common. 3 and 4 share a common. In the past I've had issues with the shared common. I was using them to control screens and fireplaces. It's been a couple of years so I may not remember this correctly but I could never find a solution where I could use all 5 contacts. I tried various combinations of shade on 1, fireplace on 2. Fireplace/fireplace, etc. I wound up using 1, 3, and 5 with no shared commons. An expensive option because I lost 40% of my CCOs.

Anyone have any experience with this or gotten it to work?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Lutron Technical Support
    Hi randyc,

Thank you for your post and question regarding the QSE-IO. We have not heard of issues related to the shared commons affecting one output but not the other. If the QSE-IO has all 5 outputs programmed, and some spare wire is use for jumpers, we recommend having one wire in common and the other on the applicable contact closure output and shorting them together. Does the programming execute? Likewise for the other output sharing that same common, if the jumper for common is left in place?

If this is an ongoing issue you are facing, we recommend calling Tech Support at 1-888-588-7661 to discuss some troubleshooting options.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R. View Post
    Hi randyc,

Thank you for your post and question regarding the QSE-IO. We have not heard of issues related to the shared commons affecting one output but not the other. If the QSE-IO has all 5 outputs programmed, and some spare wire is use for jumpers, we recommend having one wire in common and the other on the applicable contact closure output and shorting them together. Does the programming execute? Likewise for the other output sharing that same common, if the jumper for common is left in place?

If this is an ongoing issue you are facing, we recommend calling Tech Support at 1-888-588-7661 to discuss some troubleshooting options.
    I contacted tech support several times about the issue. It was a known issue. Their best guess was to try a flyback diode which requires some bizarre calculation. They weren't even sure that would work. In any case that isn't a real world solution. I quit using them several years ago. The CCOs on the VCRX work much better (no shared common).

I have a potential job coming up with ~75 CCOs. Since Lutron hasn't fixed the issue I'll probably just move the CCOs over to the Crestron system.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

We had something similar with a cinema blind and the cinema screen. For reasons, as yet, unfathomable if both were switched on at same time or one just after other we had to wait for output 1 to complete its down ward cycle of the curtains before output 2, the Cinema screen would go down and conversely the up would have to wait for ouput 2 to complete before output 1 would start. Never found the reason but we fitted 2 diodes on the common, one for each common leg, and then they both worked simultaneously.