Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Activating keypads- is Transfer Database actually needed?

Activating keypads- is Transfer Database actually needed?

DO we really have to transfer a database before we do anything just to activate a newly hooked up keypad? WHy? The database is already on the processor! Then it wants to do it again after the activated keypad- at least I understand that part. I am constantly confused by the constant need to "Transfer Database" no matter what I am trying to do in this program. Transferring this database takes 10 minutes and I just want to quickly ID a keypad. Plus while i'm in activation I cant exit out to the Design or any other tab to double check something or make sure im activating the correct keypad. This is extremely frustrating!!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmax View Post
    DO we really have to transfer a database before we do anything just to activate a newly hooked up keypad? WHy? The database is already on the processor! Then it wants to do it again after the activated keypad- at least I understand that part. I am constantly confused by the constant need to "Transfer Database" no matter what I am trying to do in this program. Transferring this database takes 10 minutes and I just want to quickly ID a keypad. Plus while i'm in activation I cant exit out to the Design or any other tab to double check something or make sure im activating the correct keypad. This is extremely frustrating!!
    Dear johnmax,

Thank you for the feedback. I will pass your feedback along to our development team.

When you add and activate a new keypad into the system you must transfer the database to the processor. Without a database the processor will not have a location to store the information of the new keypad. If you are replacing an existing keypad or devices you will not always need to do a transfer. The location of that device is already stored on the processor and the information is being changed.

Yes but why must I Transfer if the keypad was already in the program (program is already running in house), just not installed until this point? Shouldn't the location already be there? You say if replacing one the location is already there and don't need to transfer (although it still asks you to transfer)- so since I already had it in the program unactivated wouldn't the location be there?

Sometimes, when entering activate>devices, the QS program will ask you if you want to transfer your program, or just save (if I recall correctly). Choose the other one (not transfer). This will save the program (duh) but it will also let you start activation without a transfer. I use it sometimes, and it saves a little time. I've found that if I'm going to have problems getting the link to enter activation mode, it's probably when I take a shortcut like this. Most of the time, it works. And yes, the transfer has to be done one more time afterwards.

5. Likes Kevin P. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmax View Post
    Yes but why must I Transfer if the keypad was already in the program (program is already running in house), just not installed until this point? Shouldn't the location already be there? You say if replacing one the location is already there and don't need to transfer (although it still asks you to transfer)- so since I already had it in the program unactivated wouldn't the location be there?
    Dear johnmax,

If the device was already in the file before it was transferred then you will not need to transfer again on the Activation screen. If you are adding new devices that were not transferred to the processor then you will need to do a "save & transfer" before activating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    Dear johnmax,

If the device was already in the file before it was transferred then you will not need to transfer again on the Activation screen. If you are adding new devices that were not transferred to the processor then you will need to do a "save & transfer" before activating.
    Why cant the program then simply tell you this when prompted with this Transfer or Save Only window? This is one of the issues I have with this program. Lack of explanation of procedures, and again lack of a HELP FILE that would explain these things.

As long as we are on the topic of annoying connection issues, It would be nice that when you open terminal that you have away of connecting rather then going back to activation getting the connection closing terminal reopening and connecting. Surely there must be away to initiate a connection from the terminal screen .

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    As long as we are on the topic of annoying connection issues, It would be nice that when you open terminal that you have away of connecting rather then going back to activation getting the connection closing terminal reopening and connecting. Surely there must be away to initiate a connection from the terminal screen .
    Dear mcignarella,

Thank you for the feedback.

In the terminal screen you can type in the IP of a processor at the top and press connect. This will attempt to make a connection to the processor. An issue may occur if the wrong IP is typed in the terminal and it connects to an unexpected device. This may force you to restart the software and the reason we do not recommend it.

10. Thanks mcignarella thanked for this post
    Likes mcignarella liked this post