Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HW Illumination hangs on FTP upload and system is now not usable

Question HW Illumination hangs on FTP upload and system is now not usable

I've got an old Homeworks Illumination system, Processor 01 O/S Rev : 01.64.00 T18 and HW Illumination 1.65.

I went to make a small change in my lighting system program and when I went to upload it, the upload hung in the FTP section.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upload Hang.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	1103

After successfully uploading 2 files, it froze, my keypads have the strobing LEDs, and the system is non functional from the keypads.

I unplugged the HW system in my basement to reset it, and the same thing happened after power was restored.

I found the following commands to reset the system in one of my files and entered them:

updateinos
    cleanmem, fffff
    osstart

Still no difference. I tried restoring a different .hdf program file in case the one I tried to install was corrupted... same problem.

Any suggestions on something I can try?

Did you try flipping dip switch #1 to on and then power cycling the processor then once its powered up flip switch 1 to off and then power cycle the processor one more time? Many of the these older processors need this once in a while.

@johnmax Thanks, I'll keep that info on hand just in case, but I solved the problem yesterday. What I didn't mention in the original post, because I didn't think it would have a bearing, was that I'm running Homeworks on Windows 11 ARM on Parallels on an Apple M3 iMac, which configuration has run successfully for a year or more.

Don't know how I thought of it, but I wondered if a change to Windows 11 ARM or my Apple macOS could have caused the problem. Without going through the details of a 4 hour debugging session, I took an old Windows XP setup I had for Parallels and ran it on an Intel Mac that I have. Homeworks didn't work at first due to a problem with tabctrl32.ocx, but once I solved that, the system worked great and I was able to restore my HDF database file and all is well. Further details upon request.

Glad you fixed it. But running on Parallels I would think is risky anyway. Illumination software is finicky on modern windows OS I wouldnt want to compound that by adding Parallels into the mix. I keep an older Windows laptop to use when dealing with old systems that my W11 laptop doesnt like. Although surprisingly I have very few issues with HWI on it- luckily I only have a few left out there to service.

@johnmax I agree... I'm a homeowner and given the age of the system don't plan to make any further changes after this scare : )