Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can I add a relay to Caseta 3-way light circuit to handle High amperage

Can I add a relay to Caseta 3-way light circuit to handle High amperage

First I'll give you some background. My daughter has an interior design business, she bought a building that has two sections the front is the office/design area, the back is the warehouse/receiving area.

I installed Caseta switches in the office area.

The warehouse has 2 3-way lighting circuits with high bay LED lights, one lighting circuit is 6.8 amps 120volt and the other is 8.9 amps 120volts. The amperage of these circuits is to high for Lutron
    switches to operate directly. I am thinking that if I connected a SPST relay between the switches and the lights, This would allow me to use the Caseta switches.

The switches would only be energizing and the relay coil which will be low current. The energized coil would close the NO contact which would handle the higher current. Flip either switch the other direction and the circuit is open the coil is denergized and the lights shut off just like it would in any other 3-way circuit. Just want to run this by somebody else incase there is any problem I didn't see with this. Thanks

Lutron makes a series of power boosters. The PHPM-PA-120 is a phase adaptive dimming module that can control up to 16 amps. The PHPM-SW-DV is a 16 amp switching version that supports 120v or 277v.

The devices designed to fit in a 2-gang electrical box or a 4" square junction box (deep as possible). Make sure your control device has a neutral connection (ex: PD-6ANS).

Your solution would probably work and is likely less expensive than the PHPM. Switches have a minimum load requirement. Finding a relay that meets that minimum might be a challenge.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks Randy, I was under the impression that Caseta Switches weren't compatible with Power modules, that's why I was going to use a relay. You Mentioned using PD-6ANS switches, I was planning to use PD-5ANS so I did some digging and found they are compatible with the PHPM-SW-DV. Looking at the PHPM-SW-DV wiring diagram for a 3-way lighting circuit it looks like it would be located in the same place a relay would; behind the 3-way switches, and in front of the lights. It also looks like I will have to pull in power from the breaker, the same as if I was I was wiring in a relay. ;

After doing some more research on the PHPM-SW-DV module I found it has to have its own separate neutral, instructions say (no shared neutral). There's already 6 - 12 gauge wires in 1/2" conduit adding 2 hot wires and 2 neutrals will be to many conductors for 1/2" EMT, I'm not running new conduit. This brings me back to the relay setup. Randy stated that the switch has a minimum load rating, Lutron has a minimum load capacitor LUT-MLC but I'm not sure if it would work in this situation. Would think it would.

Come on, what's a few feet of EMT? Just kidding! I hate running any kind of pipe.

The shared neutral is also an issue for the mechanical relay. Say you have 2-20 amp feeds in the pipe. You need 2-20 amp neutrals to ensure that the wire isn't overloaded.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I was confused about the shared neutral, I thought it meant not sharing the neutral for the Power Module with the load neutral, when it actually means sharing the neutral with 2 completely separate circuits. So I am back to looking at using the PHPM-SW-DV instead of a relay. I am having trouble wrapping my head around wiring it into the circuit. I will be using a Caseta PD-5ANS switch with a mechanical switch at the other end of the 3-way part of the circuit. I understand that part of the circuit, but the only diagram I could find for wiring the power module into a 3-way circuit was on the Lutron site and is for a fluorescent dimmer setup. One thing that I'm not sure of in this diagram is that there is a H/L wire going to one dimmer, the legend doesn't list an HL wire and I'm not sure where it comes from. I'm also not sure about load switched to the SH connection on the module is that tied to the H/L wire on the dimmer. I'm hoping I only have to pull in one wire from box to box or I will be dead in the water again. If anyone can provide me with a better wiring diagram, or where to look one up, It would really be great. Thanks