Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Bizarre Sporadic Problems, help!

Bizarre Sporadic Problems, help!

DIY homeowner, installed and programmed everything myself roughly 2 months ago. I'm at 55 devices including 12 shades. Up until about 1 week ago, everything was working flawlessly. All timeclock events were working smoothly (lights and shades). My keypad buttons were working 100% of the time, everything was wonderful and my family thought I was a genius.

Then about a week ago, randomly, one shade in the master bedroom was still down when the time event prompted all of them to raise at sunrise. It was completely unresponsive. In the system, the app thought it was open but it was closed. Of course, it had to be the one shade at the very peak of the vaulted ceiling, requiring the use of a gigantic step ladder that thankfully my contractor hasn't picked up yet.

I got on the phone with tech support yesterday, and we went through several rounds of troubleshooting. He had me reset the shade itself and deactivate it from the software, then try to reactivate it. It never went into activation mode, so we gave up and he gave me a warranty case # because we thought perhaps the RF antenna was bad. He asked if the light on the antenna was blinking (it was not). Curiously, later when I came home it was blinking green/red.

However, since then, my entire system has gone nuts. Time events no longer work. Nothing responds to commands in the app. The keypad commands work maybe 20% of the time (i.e. Chandelier will turn on from a key pad, but then won't turn off.) I have a main repeater and two aux repeaters. All are comfortably within 60 ft of each other. But even keypads that are literally 10 ft from the main repeater, no longer work.

I've transferred multiple times, hoping that would reset things, no dice. Diagnostics show that all devices are communicating. I'm completely stumped.

Coming back to reply with what worked. I called into tech support and she thought that perhaps something with that shade was really giving us problems. So she had me delete that shade (even though it was deactivated), and then she showed me how to do the Force Full Transfer (Control F9) and it worked like a charm. Everything is back to normal.

3. Thanks randyc thanked for this post
    Likes SparkyCoog liked this post
    Thanks for the update. I have found really strange issues with shades on two occasions where they had been messed up for some reason and have needed to be factory reset. It happened on a QS job that I overtook and had to add some new shades and also a Ra2 job that I took over and had to add new shades/fix existing non-responsive shades that would give a warning (not an error) during database upload.

The issue on both cases was when I would factory reset a non-working shade and try to activate it, it would say that the serial number already existed with another shade which had shown a warning somewhere else in the house. I'd factory reset that one and try to activate it and then would be told again that the serial number for that shade already exists...which by chance happened to be one that had a warning. and it would go on until I reached the last shade in the chain that had issues.

Everytime I've explained it to tech support, they've acted like I'm nuts and swore that the serial numbers in the shades are not dynamic and each has their own factory serial number, but I know what I saw! Perhaps next time I run across this I will try a full transfer (although I think I did that with the QS job to no avail).