Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded from RA2 to RA3 but I need to go back to RA2. Now keypads don't work.

Upgraded from RA2 to RA3 but I need to go back to RA2. Now keypads don't work.

Hi everyone, I have RA2 and Inclusive software with about 60 dimmers and keypads. I bought the RA3 Processor and did the whole migration which worked very easily and everything worked on RA3. However, I then found out the hard way that Control4 does not support RA3 at all which is kind of a big deal, so I needed to go back to RA2. Just for fun, I unplugged the RA3 Processor, and plugged the RA2 Main Repeater back in, and was surprised that everything continued to work as expected.

The problem though is all my keypads are really messed up. For example, I will have a 6 button one where each button runs a shared scene. That works, but when the scene is active, the keypad button does not light up. The LED turns off after a few seconds, almost like when they are not programmed. In other cases, I'll press button 4 for example and the scene comes on, but then button 2 lights up and the LED comes on for that button instead.

On other ones, I'll have a button set to toggle a load, and when I press it, the load comes on, but the LED does not. I press it again, it doesn't turn off the load it only turns it on. Press it a bunch of times and then randomly it will turn off the load.

I tried doing activate and also transfer in RA2 Inclusive which said successful, but it didn't actually do anything.

I have factory reset the keypads, even deactivated and reactivated them but same thing they just don't work. All they do is turn on LED #2 no matter what button I press.

I'd try resetting the main repeater. You may have to reset the keypads again.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Be careful resetting the main. Take it way of site. Never reset a main onsite. It will send out to all devices and they will all have to be factory reset.
    Was told this by a Lutron tech just before I was going to try it.

4. Thanks Bill13 thanked for this post
    Thanks I will try that to see. It's very odd as everything works as expected, it's just the keypads that act wonky and provide random status or take 2 or 3 presses before they function. I did read on another post about taking the main repeater way off site and that it would reset all devices, so I'll definitely make sure to try that as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MitchE View Post
    Be careful resetting the main. Take it way of site. Never reset a main onsite. It will send out to all devices and they will all have to be factory reset.
    Was told this by a Lutron tech just before I was going to try it.
    When this came up on another thread here it made me wonder... does the resetting of the main repeater only disrupt the devices that were actually paired to it? Because it would be a serious reliability/security problem if the process somehow broadcast in a way that disrupted ANY Ra2 devices in RF range. I can't imagine that's the case, right?

Yeah as far as I know, it only affects the devices that were on it. If I had to guess, the idea is that if you're resetting the main repeater you probably need to reset all your devices too and reactivate them again so this would save a lot of time.

I believe... when you activate the main repeater it creates a "house code." When you activate the devices they are associated with that house code. When you reset and reactivate the main repeater it likely chooses a different house code. The devices are still associated with the first house code. The only way to clear the first house code is to factory reset the device.

I think if you reset the main, onsite or off, you are going to have to reset all the devices.

There is a high probability I am wrong about that.
    www.convergenceusa.com

RandyC
    Sorry to say it but according to my experience with tech your Wro......
    My issues was many years ago so don't remember exactly why i had to find this out. I think there is a post here somewhere or it may have been on the really old Lutron forum.
    Was told that resetting of site and bringing back would be like bringing in a new repeater. Both would find existing devices and get going with out a reset on devices. Just find new rep in software and go. I think i had a new on me and didn't factory reset. I tried resetting at a later date of site so i could test but didn't work. I remember getting a RMA and sending back the old one.
    Told me something to the effect that resetting main sends a signal to reset all devices. Said he advises going " far off site like a Starbucks"

I can only relate my experience. I've reset RA2 main repeaters and never had it reset any of the devices. One system has 180 devices. It would have been a GREAT feature if it automatically reset all or at least some of the devices but it did not. I had to manually reset all 180, and the aux repeaters.
    www.convergenceusa.com

11. Thanks Bill13 thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchE View Post
    Said he advises going " far off site like a Starbucks"
    For a VCRX it won't push a few feet more... but for a main repeater reset, it's gotta be MILES?

/sarcasm

I wonder if the reset-repeater-resets-devices is a feature of more recent firmware?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast