Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Lost my first RA3 job because of lack of Grafik Eye support

Lost my first RA3 job because of lack of Grafik Eye support

I really hope Lutron understands the tough spot they're putting us in by willfully and for no good technical reason removing Grafik eye support. Right on cue, a longtime customer with a Ra Classic system called me and said she finally wants to take me up on a bid I gave them for Ra2 4 years ago and of course I'd have to redo it because in 4 years pricing has changed. The problem is that this house has not 1, not 2, but EIGHT 6 zone grafik eyes and it'd take almost an additional day of electrical labor to try to add the 2 additional gangs to convert them to regular dimmers, plus unknown amount of cabinet and drywall damage. And even then, they'd look ugly as sin in some spots.

We thought about going with QSX instead but that was around $4000 more in parts and they'd gain nothing. For some odd reason, the exact same grafik eye with the exact same part# cost more when ordering it for Homeworks than for Radio ra2 as well. Seemed pretty odd.

So, the customer is telling us to just stick with Ra2. I hate doing it, I really really do, but they're not going to spend thousands of dollars more if at the end of the day it does the same thing for their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    I really hope Lutron understands the tough spot they're putting us in by willfully and for no good technical reason removing Grafik eye support. Right on cue, a longtime customer with a Ra Classic system called me and said she finally wants to take me up on a bid I gave them for Ra2 4 years ago and of course I'd have to redo it because in 4 years pricing has changed. The problem is that this house has not 1, not 2, but EIGHT 6 zone grafik eyes and it'd take almost an additional day of electrical labor to try to add the 2 additional gangs to convert them to regular dimmers, plus unknown amount of cabinet and drywall damage. And even then, they'd look ugly as sin in some spots.

We thought about going with QSX instead but that was around $4000 more in parts and they'd gain nothing. For some odd reason, the exact same grafik eye with the exact same part# cost more when ordering it for Homeworks than for Radio ra2 as well. Seemed pretty odd.

So, the customer is telling us to just stick with Ra2. I hate doing it, I really really do, but they're not going to spend thousands of dollars more if at the end of the day it does the same thing for their needs.
    same thing here, most of the install always have one grafik eye and can.t upgrade. Not to mention all grafik t and grafik hybrid keypad customers that won’t be able to upgrade either. It should not be difficult to put these in legacy and support them in ra3, allowing them to upgrade and increase sales?

It makes no sense. It's not a physical limitation - they're both Clear Connect A devices. It's literally the exact same device that Homeworks and the QSX processor use which the exact same software supports. The software development time it would take to add it is minimum. This seems like a deliberate decision by the marketing team for some unknown reason. Maybe they haven't been selling enough of them, but I just can't imagine that it didn't occur to them that there are existing systems that will need to be upgraded to Ra3 at some point. This really damages Lutron's reputation.

I have another customer with a Homeworks P5 4 series processor that has a grafik eye in a study with wood panel walls and we had talked about upgrading their ancient system to Ra2 before COVID and now they're showing interest again. Ra3 would be perfect for them.

I also have another customer with a very large Homeworks P5 8 series system with 5 RPM panels which might crap out at any time and much as with Ra3 not supporting WPMs, Homeworks QSX also doesn't let you use RPM panels. Just a conservative estimate shows that they'll have to spend over $40,000 to replace the perfectly working RPMs to DIN rail modules and another $15,000 to replace their keypads. That's $55,000 that is 100% wasted. I guess the marketing people think that rich people got rich by being dumb. I remember early on with Lutron, the marketing people had a real "Bro" attitude and would high-five each other after a sale, but in those days Lutron was pretty much the only game in town and those aren't the same customers anymore. The new generation ask questions.

Where are you buying your product from? There should be no price difference in the Grafik Eye. The QSGRJ-6P-xx will work in RA2 and HQS. The covers can be a big difference though. Adding keypads to the front also jumps the price up.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I get it through a lighting supplier...Both are QSGRJ6P and there is a $400 difference between the Ra2 bid and the QSX bid. When I generate list pricing from both software, it also shows the difference. Exact same part#1

6. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Ditto here. No Grafik Eye support, no Ra3 upgrade from RA2.

Any update here? Any chance of new compatibility or a new Ra3 Grafik Eye?