Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Simple On/Off Switch with Caseta? Anything likely to happen

Simple On/Off Switch with Caseta? Anything likely to happen

Hey All,

Following from a post I found in the design, was wondering if there were any plans for a standard on / off switch that could power a simple receptacle.

I have lived in quite a few homes where there is no fixed lighting, only switches powering receptacles.

So was hoping a simple switch, that links through the caseta system, might be in the pipeline. I would have thought this would be the most simple of all products to make.

Thanks

PD-5WS-DV-xx is an on/off switch for Caseta. Already available. Was there something else you needed it to do?
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Sorry, should have been more clear.

A switch which can carry standard receptacle loads, so if someone accidentally plugs a high powered appliance (eg hairdryer - yes, am assuming my gf will make that mistake) into what appears to be a standard electrical outlet, it wont cause issues.

My understanding was that switch you mentioned could only carry certain loads limited to lighting / fan control.

Also, intention is in 5+ years or so to move and rent out the condo, so I would also want to make sure the switch / outlet work as expected for any subsequent tenant.

Now I understand. The largest switch Lutron makes with a radio receiver is an 8 amp. I would think that would handle almost anything except a plug in heater. Another easy option would be to buy one of the new receptacles available for commercial Title 24 here in CA that has a marking for the "controlled" portion of the outlet.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Girlfriends Hairdryer is 1875 watts which google tells me is about 15amps.

If you are referring to these type of receptacles, I considered it, but that means I am looking at $50+ for the switch, plus $40 for the receptacle + $35 for the lamp plug replacement, so $125 per bedroom because a simple on/off switch connected to casetta hub doesnt exist. And also hoping that my non electrical skilled brain can replace the receptacle and plug without an electrician and without screwing up the wiring in a bad way.

I do apprciate your input though. Definitely trying to figure out an alternative that doesnt have the significant other looking at me strange every time she looks at the bedroom switches wondering why i went to all the expense and hassle, only to automate half the condo.

You can try this. Pico on the wall instead of regular switch + Plug-in Dimmer plugged into uncontrollable outlet (or extension cord) would be much cheaper that $125 and achieve the result you want.

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    You can try this. Pico on the wall instead of regular switch + Plug-in Dimmer plugged into uncontrollable outlet (or extension cord) would be much cheaper that $125 and achieve the result you want.
    Definitely considered that. Downside being when we move, I either have to rewire the switch again if i take the dimmer plug with me, or leave behind the equipment for both rooms for a future tenent. Would rather a permament solution.

Quote Originally Posted by adams View Post
    Definitely considered that. Downside being when we move, I either have to rewire the switch again if i take the dimmer plug with me, or leave behind the equipment for both rooms for a future tenent. Would rather a permament solution.
    One trick is to use a wall plate that's one-gang larger than what's already on the wall. Then mount a Pico in the empty spot. Looks like a regular switch but requires no changes to the underlying wall material or the electrical box.

As for moving, automation gear is probably best considered permanent. Electrical wiring inside of boxes is definitely not geared toward being repeatedly handled. That and most lease agreements would exclude tenants making any changes to things like the wiring, plumbing, hvac and the like. Heck, some are even picky about hanging pictures. No landlord with any sense is going to want tenants mucking about inside the junction boxes.