Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RA3 - Feedback and areas to improve

RA3 - Feedback and areas to improve

We completed our first RA3 system this week. While the initial deployment went well with little to no issues, here is a list of our observations and where Lutron can improve the system.

End-user scene creation: At the moment, the end-user cannot create their own scenes, similar to Caseta and RA2 select. In an RA3 system, under the scenes tab, you can only select scenes from keypads with no ability to create your own. This seems like a huge mistake as to what if the system doesn’t have any keypads installed? Also since there is no way for programmers to create repeater phantom buttons, this becomes an extremely important feature.

Path of light programming: Absent from RA3 is the Path of Light programming. Will this be included in future RA3 software updates?

Keypad LED feedback: Like in Homework's, it would be nice to be able to control how the keypad button LED feedback is displayed via the programming software.

Occupancy sensor control via timeclock: I posted another thread about this already. Control of motion sensors settings (Disabled, Enabled or Enabled (Vacancy only) is a nice feature and critical in some installations.

Sunnata Device Activation: After activating a Sunnata device and syncing the data back to the programming software, you have to wait 10 minutes before the device can accept a transfer. Any chance to lower this time or eliminate it?

Verify low end: The option to adjust low end for all devices is gone… or I can find it. Will this option be restored so it’s easier to verify low end on all dimmers/light fixtures without having to edit each device individually?

That’s it for now. I’m sure I’ll have more to post at a later date. Just wanted to toss these out there for Lutron and other users to see. Any feedback or education is appreciated.

2. Thanks randyc, Bill13, SparkyCoog, Woodside Electric thanked for this post
    Likes randyc, Bill13, jdenenberg liked this post
    Thanks for posting. Been waiting on info from the brave that are trying it.
    Most of these are why I'm not on board with ra3 yet.
    End-user scene. Don't have much to say about this as most of my Ra2 clients are happy to pick from what I have given them. But would be cool to have the option.

I have been asking about this from the first release. I hear from some, not from Lutron of course, that it may be back. I have posted either here or the Facebook group my disappointment. Why was it taken away? Have been told that I'm in a verrrrrrry minor, 5%, group that uses this feature. I find that very hard to believe. Also interesting bug we have with Press and Release being an option before you change to scene or toggle

Keypad LED feedback: Like in Homework's: Beyond the feed back we get with the standard scene options your not going to see LED options like reverse logic. That is HW's world and that's fine with me just give us back what RA2 had. I personally think it's a pull down menu issue. If you look at how HW's controls scene/toggle/path LED logic it's a two menu option. They are trying to use the One Ring to Rule Them software method and may have to do a lot more coding to keep RA3 dumbed-down.

Occupancy sensor control via timeclock: Keep digging in to see if it's hidden but don't see it.

Sunnata Device Activation: That's just crazy. How was the overall activation process? Would like to hear more details so I can tell the boss why adding one more dimmer took way to long. Also curious about the RA2 side. The training video says you have to walk around and push every device. Hoping we can just put in all serial numbers and push go.

Verify low end: Noticed this was gone. Was going to post the same question.

I had a nightmare install that's documented in the troubleshooting forum. Thrust of that is - don't reset your old main repeater when it is in range of the system. Read over there if you want more. I did a changeover from a RA2 system to a hybrid.

1. Factory resetting the main processor is done withe the usual 3+3 button press like on a switch. This not documented anywhere.
    2. I still can't believe there isn't a countdown timer. Neither can most of my customers.
    3. I thought the activation process was clunky. I hate the two step process. More often than not we activate systems by serial number rather than running around a whole house. I couldn't seem to find an option for this but didn't really dig around as I was only adding a few devices.
    4. The main processor "wall mount kit" is actually only useful for a j box or a flush install (hole in wall/ceiling). The cable needs room behind the wall. The "shelf mount" is actually a surface mount so this is what you need for surface regardless of where it goes. You also need a right angle cable with this mount which is annoying. They supply one but it's short.
    5. Range seems unaffected. Devices that are on the very edges of what should work are still reliable.
    6. Overall I feel like we have lost simplicity. It all feels like a bit of a kludge.

I'm sure we will all get used to it's idiosyncrasies. It's gonna cost us all a bunch of time/money getting there though.

I found the activation process was weird as you have to use Lutron Designer, but then switch over to the app to actually activate them? Seemed clunky I thought.

Also, you don't have to wait 10 minutes, in the RA3 training it says you can either wait 10 minutes, OR, power cycle the device and transfer immediately. That's what I do, just pull the FASS for a few secs, pop it back in and it works immediately.

6. Likes Bill13 liked this post

Keypads in the Software

I can never remember the keypad layout nomenclature. Once a 6button keypad is selected and I use the dropdown to select a model from the list given there is no accompanying pic of what the model looks like. You have to select it, go thru the warning about programming may be lost due to keypad layout change and then you can see the button config. Small annoyance but...
    Lack of a countdown timer and timeclock for occ/vac sensors is a much bigger deal, but I like to complain.

Please keep these coming. I was really hoping to start my first Ra3 job with a customer who is very forgiving and didn't want a lot of scenes anyway, but as I mentioned in the other thread, the lack of Grafik Eyes made it to where we are sticking with Ra2 on that job.

The activation of the Sunnata devices in particular seems really odd to me. Why didn't they just stick to using the software?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    The activation of the Sunnata devices in particular seems really odd to me. Why didn't they just stick to using the software?
    It is odd. They should have modernized and come up with a tablet/phone only solution for activation. I have been dragging around the same Windows laptop for years that's only use anymore is activating Lutron. It feels very much like a half measure.

The other thing that is hugely problematic for me is no Sunnata hybrid keypads. I use hybrids all the time in retrofit work. I'm assuming they are coming but surprised they didn't lead with these. I will say the Sunatta keypads look nice and the mesh is a theoretical upgrade... but I never had any problems reliability with well designed RA2 systems.

One other thing I noticed. I can't find an option to extract file from the processor. The file will backup the last version to the cloud, but you need account access to get to it. I have done a lot of jobs where we are asked to work on systems that were installed by someone else. This can either be someone who was unhappy with the previous install or a home that was sold with new owners looking to make changes. Previously it was easy to just extract the file and work on it but now it looks like I need to get cloud access to get the file? I'm sure you can all imagine how that's going to go.

11. Likes SparkyCoog liked this post
    Was just thinking this yesterday when I saw a new RA3 install. I was there to hang fixtures only. Ra3 being done jointly by A/V and another electrician(I think).
    This is no way to get down on the installers/programmers. I did end up meeting the A/V guy and he was good to chat with.
    I asked the owner how they liked it and pointed out there was no temporary labels. Was told it wasn't programmed yet.
    The reason the thought came up was once we talked the owners said "they wish they would have known about us sooner". Again I have no knowledge of installers excepts for the little chat.
    But I do get that a lot when walking into old Ra2 systems. Owner lost or has no info on orig installer or orig installer not interested in finishing. I have had all those different scenarios. I have a lot of contacts in the field and don't want to step on any toes so I always ask and encourage them to get orig if possible.
    I also got to see what a 6 gang looks likes with 5 Sunata and 1 Maestro fan control with keypad added above. Fan control didn't occur to me until I saw this.

Okay. Here's another one. This is supper annoying and hopefully Lutron will fix as it makes the RA2 > RA3 upgrade path way more difficult. So as far as I can see, and I dug around pretty well, you cannot simply reassign a Sunnata device to one that was previously RA2. There is a drop down that allows you to reassign devices but no Sunnata there. So. If you have a customer who wants to changeover from RA2 to RA3, or even just replace a switch or 2 with the newer look, you cannot just swap devices. You have to re add a new device. Delete the old one, and go back into program and add the new device to ALL previous scenes, time clocks, etc etc. What should be a simple swap can end up being hours. I had to spend about an hour reprogramming 3 switches I swapped today. Not fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast