Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA2 System programmed with Essentials, what do I need to change contractor?

Arrow RA2 System programmed with Essentials, what do I need to change contractor?

I am having a home built and I have a group that are installing a Lutron RA2 system. They tell me that due to complexity of the programming they are using the Inclusive software and not the Essentials software.I originally planned to take the course and get qualified for the Essentials programming. The idea was that I would be less reliant on the contractor. However, given that they are using the Inclusive software that option is off the table!

I am having second thoughts about this contractor but unfortunately I am committed to having them install the hardware and do the initial programming.

My question is related to trying to understand how difficult will it be to switch to another contractor after the fact... Can another contractor come in and log into the Lutron system and make updates / changes? Or does a new contractor require a copy of the programming file.

Another way to look at it is what do I need to get from my current contractor to make sure that I can seamlessly pass it over to another contractor?

Hello,

You could take both level 1 (Essentials) and level 2 (Inclusive) training through LCI online. Then you would be able to program the system yourself. Another contractor/programmer would just need the file for the RA2 system, which can be extracted off of the RA2 Main Repeater.

3. Thanks GMD999 thanked for this post
    Likes GMD999 liked this post
    If the house is under construction now, you really should be using RadioRa 3, not 2.

5. Thanks GMD999 thanked for this post
    Likes johnmax liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle S View Post
    Hello,

You could take both level 1 (Essentials) and level 2 (Inclusive) training through LCI online. Then you would be able to program the system yourself. Another contractor/programmer would just need the file for the RA2 system, which can be extracted off of the RA2 Main Repeater.

The level 2 training requires a 2 day course and is relatively expensive. At this point I would have no plans to use the training for anything other than for this home. So, the free equipment would not be very helpful since I have already contracted the design and the initial install. My sense is that finding a local contractor that can help with ad hoc changes in the future. Thanks for the info about the file which can be extracted off the RA2 Main Repeater. Is this file or access to the file password protected?
    Last edited by GMD999; 11-21-2023 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added quote

Why are you doing RRa2 and not RRA3? You're installing outdated equipment. And the RRa3 training is all on-line with no cost.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
    If the house is under construction now, you really should be using RadioRa 3, not 2.
    We started the design and specs of the home in September 2021. I did ask the contractor at the time about RA3 but they said that I should go with RA2 because RA3 was compatible with some of the devices. So, at this time I am locked into what I contracted for. I'm not sure that I want to give this contractor anything more.

Two years ago? You should be able to change that. I'm surprised the contractor can actually get the RRa2 repeater. I know people that had to convert to RRa3 because the repeater is no longer available. Unless he bought one two years ago and has been waiting to install it.

But as long as you're not using any devices that are NOT supported by RRa3, it's not hard to switch it later. You just need to replace the RRa2 repeater with the RRa3 processor. Then you can do your own programming. The online courses for RRa3 are pretty straightforward.

If he IS installing in-compatible devices I would be very upset. He's boxing you in a corner with obsolete equipment.

Why are you doing RRa2 and not RRA3? You're installing outdated equipment. And the RRa3 training is all on-line with no cost.
    Your post came in just as I was posting my quick reply to your first post! Very interesting that the RRA3 training is at no cost! As I explained in my last post, I am sort of locked into having an initial RRA2 install and I don't want to give the contractor any more business. Quickly looking at the RRA3 documentation I see that they explain how to do a conversion from RRA2 to RRA3, so I may very well look at doing the training and follow that path. Thanks for the post, very helpful. I didn't realize that Lutron seem to be far more open with RRA3 for DIY's, than with RRA2!

Can you post a list of the equipment that's being installed? That way we can provide some insight on how hard it will be to convert.

If he IS installing in-compatible devices I would be very upset. He's boxing you in a corner with obsolete equipment.
    I am trying to figure out specifically which products they are installing and then determining if they are compatible or not. Unfortunately, this home is quite far from where I live so being on site to look at things is not possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to box me in because they have tried with a bunch of other things. (as an example, I asked them to quote on buying 2 TV's (77" and 65") including mounting.. the cost of the TV's alone was $1,700 more than retail at Best Buy! Then they included in their price an installation cost of $3,500 including managed surge protectors with required 12 month support plan!!! I obviously declined that generous offer!). I plan to figure out if there are any incompatible devices and if so, I will remove them so that I can do a conversion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast