Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Can I replace my Caseta bridge with an RadioRA3 controller?

Can I replace my Caseta bridge with an RadioRA3 controller?

I have over 75 Caseta devices in my house (probably over 100). I'm beyond the Caseta limits. I'd like to use RadioRA3 but I can't justify replacing all the existing Caseta devices.

So is it possible to connect Caseta devices (switches, dimmers, fan controls and motion/presence sensors) to RadioRA3?

Thank you,
    Eric

No, it is not possible. You could add another Caseta bridge and have two accounts. Maybe one for outside lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    No, it is not possible. You could add another Caseta bridge and have two accounts. Maybe one for outside lighting?
    Thank you, Bill. Yes, I think that's what I'll have to do. I am thinking that I will separate devices such that I'll use one bridge for devices where I want voice/app control and one for devices where I want automation control. The problem with two bridges/two accounts is linking to other systems.

Yeah back when Caseta had a device limit of 50, I would warn customers who insisted on getting it over Ra2 Select was that if they even had more than 50 devices in their house where they MIGHT want to add them later to just bite the bullet and go with the bigger system. These things would usually start out with 20 or 30 devices but then people would add picos, and plug-in lights, etc. and it's easy to get out of hand.

I really think Lutron should merge Caseta and Ra2 select and give the option of upgrading to RA3 later but Lutron didn't even let people use Grafik eyes in Ra3 so I don't think this will change. Maybe in a few years they'll throw another bone and extend the devices to a 100.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Yeah back when Caseta had a device limit of 50, I would warn customers who insisted on getting it over Ra2 Select was that if they even had more than 50 devices in their house where they MIGHT want to add them later to just bite the bullet and go with the bigger system. These things would usually start out with 20 or 30 devices but then people would add picos, and plug-in lights, etc. and it's easy to get out of hand.

I really think Lutron should merge Caseta and Ra2 select and give the option of upgrading to RA3 later but Lutron didn't even let people use Grafik eyes in Ra3 so I don't think this will change. Maybe in a few years they'll throw another bone and extend the devices to a 100.
    I think merging select with Ra3 would work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    I think merging select with Ra3 would work too.
    It seems weird to me that Lutron doesn't want to upsell prosumers to professional systems. I can understand capability limiting their entry level systems, but selling me a new controller that can use the Lutron products I've already bought, seems like a no-brainer.

7. Likes SparkyCoog liked this post
    With multiple bridges you can create a single integrated solution if you use a 3rd party automation system.

e.g. Apple HomeKit will support multiple Caseta bridges and then all the devices are available in the Apple Home (or other app) interface as a single set of devices that can also be controlled by Siri voice.

Similarly, some other automation systems that integrate with Lutron can expose a single unified set of devices. Probably limited to systems that integrate via TCP/IP (aka Telnet) so you'll need the Pro version of the hub or RA2 with Connect Bridge or RA2 Select but cannot use RA3.

Quote Originally Posted by SpivR View Post
    With multiple bridges you can create a single integrated solution if you use a 3rd party automation system.

e.g. Apple HomeKit will support multiple Caseta bridges and then all the devices are available in the Apple Home (or other app) interface as a single set of devices that can also be controlled by Siri voice.

Similarly, some other automation systems that integrate with Lutron can expose a single unified set of devices. Probably limited to systems that integrate via TCP/IP (aka Telnet) so you'll need the Pro version of the hub or RA2 with Connect Bridge or RA2 Select but cannot use RA3.
    Yes, I bit the bullet and installed a second bridge, and was delighted that I could connect it to HomeKit. I then had to move a bunch of devices to the other bridge, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Overall, using HomeKit, my two-bridge home works very well. I lose a little bit of automation capability (because I have to automate cross-bridge actions with HomeKit instead of Caseta) but it is working very smoothly.

Thank you for the advice!
    Last edited by efitz; 05-31-2022 at 11:05 AM. Reason: hit send too soon

10. Likes tcgoertzen liked this post