Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: PD-6WCL Dimmer - Set Favorite Light Level Without Remote?

Question PD-6WCL Dimmer - Set Favorite Light Level Without Remote?

I just installed my first devices. A fan controller and the PD-6WCL dimmer. I did this to start with a simple set up to both verify my ability to self-install switches, connect to the bridge and set up automation.

Installation is in a toilet room and the goal is to have the ventilation fan come on when I turn on the light and then turn off when the light is turned off. That all works as planned.

The switch I replaced holds the light level setting (typically very low) after it is turned off. That is very helpful in the middle of the night to avoid getting blinded by the full intensity. The PD-6WCL doesn't appear to hold the previous light level setting when turned off and comes on at full brightness. I did some tests using the Pico remote and everything worked as expected including holding a favorite light level via the remote.

I was hoping the remote would set a favorite light level in the switch itself but it appears it does not. In other words, it appears only the Pico retains/activates a favorite setting.

I don't/didn't have any intentions of using a remote to control the dimmer. The clunky way would be to mount a Pico in (or just outside) the toilet room.

Did I chose the wrong dimmer for that set up? I don't see an option in the Caseta products offered.

Any suggestions?

Don

I think I found my own answer with the help from another thread. It looks like the PD-5NE is the switch is the proper switch for my needs. The product page emphasized the "Replaces 1 hardwired switch controlling ELV lighting, like under cabinet lights and other low voltage fixtures." and I thought it was only for low voltage applications like under the cabinet lights. Expanding the "product details" showed me more details.

Am I missing anything?

Yes, the PD-5NE-WH is the only Caseta switch which has a favorites setting button, the middle one. This is the most versatile Caseta switch since it can be programmed to handle most types of lights. This is the one I use for most installations.

4. Likes Hydro liked this post