Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Occupancy Sensor - control lights in multiple rooms?

Occupancy Sensor - control lights in multiple rooms?

I think I know the answer to this but figure I should ask...

Is there a way to get a single occupancy sensor (PD-OSENS-WH) to control lights in multiple rooms?

I have an open floorplan downstairs and don't really want/need more than one sensor.

At the same time, I don't want to redo my room mapping because control from other interfaces (i.e. Alexa) is based on the names of the rooms.

Any chance of this happening?

As you've likely discovered, the occupancy sensor can only control lights & fans that are assigned to the same room as the sensor in the Lutron app. I really don't see Lutron changing this.

I think you can use smart home automation systems that allow you to create custom scenes or routines. These systems often integrate with voice assistants like Alexa and allow you to group lights across different rooms and control them simultaneously using a single command. This way, you can maintain your existing room mapping for control from other interfaces while still achieving multi-room lighting control.

Hope that my idea can be useful for you

Lutron Technical Support
    Welcome to the forums felixwozniak. You are correct, the PD-OSENS can only work with dimmers and switches assigned to the same room inside the Lutron app. The only way around this will be to group the various controls within the same room. We understand this is not the ideal solution. I would be happy to push this suggestion forward for potential native support.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon W. View Post
    Welcome to the forums felixwozniak. You are correct, the PD-OSENS can only work with dimmers and switches assigned to the same room inside the Lutron app. The only way around this will be to group the various controls within the same room. We understand this is not the ideal solution. I would be happy to push this suggestion forward for potential native support.
    I would second this request; it would be very useful, and seems like a simple fix at least to a surface understanding. For example, motion sensors control my upstairs hallway lights. I’d like to be able to trigger the downstairs lights at the foot of the stairway when departing the upstairs after dark, but really don’t want to group them in the same room. I believe I can work around this with an automation in Apple home (once I get an apple hub) but spreading routines across multiple systems is less than ideal.

Pico remotes are room agnostic, hoping the occupancy sensors could be as well!