Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Mastro Pro and Companions in a 4 way setup - replacing old Leviton switches

Mastro Pro and Companions in a 4 way setup - replacing old Leviton switches

I could you use some help with a four way Maestro setup. I've replaced two flush hallway lights with two LED ELV flush mounts. Now I'm looking to install dimmers. However it's a 4 way situation. Someone on the forum mentioned going with a MA-Pro and 2 companions which I bought and went to install today but I can't seem to get the wiring correct after following the lutron wiring wizard.

Currently, the lights do not turn on and the IL 1 and IL 5 lights on the MA-Pro 4-way are blinking. I'm suppose to do a Reverse phase on it and tried the steps (open the PASS, press up key, close the pass and hold for 5 secs) but nothing happens.

I know that certain flashing lights mean different things but the troubleshooting in the directions do not cover a situation with 1 and 5 flashing.

I switched up a couple of wires thinking I must have mixed one up and at one point had the lights on but the switches wouldn't operate the light. I changed them up again and at one point had the lights on but they were dimmed but again, switch did not operate the lights.

Attached below are my old switch wiring and current wiring (back to original set up after going through the wizard again). I would greatly appreciate any help.

Original 4 way
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1386.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	922

Original 3 way

Name:	IMG_1388.png 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	923

Maestro Pro

Name:	IMG_1393.png 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	924

Name:	IMG_1394.png 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	925

Maestro Companion (the other companion is wired the same way)

Name:	IMG_1395.png 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	926

Name:	IMG_1396.png 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	921

Thanks

First, I'm a little jealous that you got photos to upload.

You will need to identify which end has the power and which has the switch leg (wire going up to the light). The dimmer will need to go at the switch leg end. With the lights turned off, test for power at the black screw of one of the 3-ways. The one without power is the switch leg.

You want power-in on the black screw and out to the next device/load on the brass screw. The blue screw is communication. I always use the rew wire for communication as it is easier to trace. The middle device will have 2 red wires attached to the blue terminal.

You will need the dimmer functioning properly before you can program it.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the quick reply Radync. A couple of questions if you don't mind. First, I installed the MA-Pro in the location that had a four way switch figuring that this would have been the correct position. It had two red and two black and a neutral/white in the back of the box capped off. Would this tell me that this is the correct location for the dimmer? From lutron instructions they said that this can go in any of the locations but I figured I'd install it in the same place as the original 4 way (non-dimmer) switch.

In terms of figuring which end has the power, it's tough for me to do that now given that I already installed the new dimmer and the companions. I could try to reinstall the old ones but I wouldn't know which red/black wires go to which screws on the original 4 way. I can tell which side they would go on but not which screws (also no black screw on the original - just reds on one side and blacks on the other with no markings to identify which is in/out...)

Ah. I figured it out. I was reading the IL lights incorrectly. I was counting from top to bottom and not bottom to top. So 3 and 7 were flashing telling me my black wires were backwards. Dumb that I misread the light indicators (I just looked at troubleshooting that said 3 and 7 and I thought mine were flashing 1 and 5 (counted upside down).

My old 4 way didn't have a black switch so I guess it was basically having to guess which black wire would go to black. All solved!

5. Likes randyc liked this post