Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: QS / QSX without box using plug-in power supply acceptable?

QS / QSX without box using plug-in power supply acceptable?

I've noticed on a couple fully wireless QS jobs (I was not the installer) that they just mounted the QS processor on the wall like Ra2 and used a plug-in power supply. One of them didn't even bother mounting them and had just put them in a cabinet. Is that an acceptable/approved way of doing it? I have always at least used a small box and a QSPS-DH-1-60 power supply which frankly seemed pretty wasteful for just a wireless system so I'd just justify it by connecting the hybrid repeater to the processor and use the power supply for it.

Can I just get a the QSPS-Px-1-35V 35VDC plug in power supply, and mount it on the wall in an equipment room, then put a little piece of din rail on the wall next to it and put in a QS processor and save $300? I think the power supply can handle 8 PDU and the processor is 8 PDU. I know I wouldn't be able to plug anything else requiring power in the QS link.

Also, why is the QS plug-in power supply 35v? Can QS keypads handle 35VDC even if they say they need 24VDC

Approved? Probably not. Acceptable? I'd say yes.

SeeTouch keypads are rated for 24-36v. Some older models may only be rated for 24v. I suspect other keypad models are rated for 24-36v as well but I did not look them up.

I believe 35v came from shades. Lutron did the the right thing and made everything (except the DH-1) 35v.

FYI, there is a company in Utah that has 48v keypads. Their AC keypads can also be powered by 48v. You can use the same power supply to power wired and AC keypads... at the same time... on the same output. What were they thinking??
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Nothing wrong with that its all low voltage. May not be the most professional look, but realy why would you buy a $300 enclosure to mount a a device that can just go on a wall if thats all you need. Just another money grab. If you have WLBs and wired keypads/power supply then absolutely. But a standalone processor or proc + repeater then theres no point- especially since the repeater should not be inside an enclosure anyway.

I kind of miss the old "wireless Homeworks" processors they used to have if you didn't want to deal with enclosures and just had a wireless systems. Of course, Ra3 is kind of that but I can't get grafik eyes with it :(

I like the design concept SparkyCoog, but you have forgotten about the upload times. They could take 20+ minutes!
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Not gonna lie, the old system was not fun with wireless...Once it found some RF interference after an ADT system was installed and it spent an hour changing the frequencies.

7. Likes randyc liked this post