Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holiday Lighting Problem / Caseta Plug-in Lamp Dimmer with LEDs won't turn off

I don't believe there has been any change to the design of the 3PCL. I looked at a couple of LED strings and they seem to range from 5-7 watts. I could not find any reference to the minimum load requirements, switched or dimmed, for the 3PCL.

I would test to see if the off issue occurs with more than one string.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Apologies, going to revive this old thread again. I'm having the same problem.

I just bought the Plug-In Lamp Dimmer and hooked it up to a set of LED string lights, specifically 2 sets of 48ft Brightech Ambience Pro lights. Each string has 15 lights, each LED is 2A, so the total draw is somewhere around 60A.

I adjusted the low-end trim on the dimmer, such that at 1%, the lights are off. However when I press the "off" button on the dimmer the lights light up again very dimly. I tried the apple wall-wart solution mentioned previously in this thread and this didn't fix the issue either.

This isn't the end of the world as at least the lights are fully off at 1% brightness, but it would be nice to just be able to switch them off to turn them off as well. Feels like the off function should always send less power than the lowest brightness trim.

Wondering if anyone's got a solution here.

Lutron Technical Support
    LED ghosting (where the LEDs remain faintly illuminated when a digital switch is in the off state) is a common sign of incompatibility between LED lights and LED dimmers. If using different LEDs is not an option, adding a small incandescent load to the circuit is usually enough to eliminate ghosting.

If you truly had 60a going through the 3PCL it would have melted and tripped the breaker. The 3PCL is only rated for 100w (~0.8a) of LED. Even a single string would overload the device.

Try the PD-15OUT-BL. It's designed for outdoor use, switch only, and rated for 15 amps lighting. Bonus feature: it costs ~2x as much as the 3PCL.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan K. View Post
    LED ghosting (where the LEDs remain faintly illuminated when a digital switch is in the off state) is a common sign of incompatibility between LED lights and LED dimmers. If using different LEDs is not an option, adding a small incandescent load to the circuit is usually enough to eliminate ghosting.
    I did see this fix elsewhere. Feels unfortunate as even a small incandescent load will be a significant portion to the load of the existing LEDs. But if nothing else works I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    If you truly had 60a going through the 3PCL it would have melted and tripped the breaker. The 3PCL is only rated for 100w (~0.8a) of LED. Even a single string would overload the device.

Try the PD-15OUT-BL. It's designed for outdoor use, switch only, and rated for 15 amps lighting. Bonus feature: it costs ~2x as much as the 3PCL.
    My apologies, I said amps but I did mean watts. Each LED bulb is 2W, so at 30 bulbs total it is 60 watts of LED. If it's rated for 100w, it feels like 60w should be plenty of load to allow the dimmer to operate correctly no?

I did see the PD-15OUT-BL, but I bought these string lights + switch combo specifically for the dimmability.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12