Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Replace old three 3 way switches with LED ELV dimmer switches

Replace old three 3 way switches with LED ELV dimmer switches

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to purchase. I'll be replacing a ceiling light with a new LED fixture. The manufacture lists Maestro MAELV-600 and Diva DVELV-303P as compatible switches. It doesn't list Caseta although I don't know why that wouldn't work as well.

Now I don't necessarily need these to be smart switches since it's a less used hallway although if cheaper to do so, I wouldn't mind Caseta. I currently have caseta switches and a bridge in our kitchen/power room/laundry room.

I currently have 3 dumb switches (none are dimmers) which I'm looking to replace. I'm looking for advice on if I can just buy three Maestro MAELV-600s (or could I buy one and two companions?). It does seem to look less expensive to buy the caseta's which is surprising to me.

Thanks for the advice.

You can only have one dimmer per group of lights. You would need the Maestro and 2 companion dimmers.

Check out the Maestro Pro (MA-PRO). It does reverse phase like the MAELV/DVELV and is ~1/3 the cost. You may have to do a one-time setup to tell the PRO to use reverse phase.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Thanks tomn68 thanked for this post
    Thanks Randy. That's a big help. The fixtures manufacturer didn't list this model but also didn't list many others. I suspect they can't keep up with all of the various models.I'd hate to buy and install three expensive switches just to find they don't work and then can't return. I'll definitely check out the Maestro Pro.

5. Likes randyc liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hi Tomn68, if you did want to stay with the Caseta family you could use the PD-5NE as it can be programmed to reverse phase dimming. If Lutron hasn't tested the LEDs you're using we wouldn't be able to guarantee the performance of the LEDs, but it would be able to send the correct dimming output.

So I went with the Maestro Pro and Companion for this 4 way setup. But I'm having trouble with the wiring. Really thought I had it correct but I'm getting IL 1 and IL 5 light flashing and there's nothing out there that tells me what that means. If anyone has experience with the MA Pro and a 4 way setup, would you mind checking out my post on this that includes some pics. Thanks

https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...viton-switches

Ah. I figured it out. I was reading the IL lights incorrectly. I was counting from top to bottom and not bottom to top. So 3 and 7 were flashing telling me my black wires were backwards. Dumb that I misread the light indicators (I just looked at troubleshooting that said 3 and 7 and I thought mine were flashing 1 and 5 (counted upside down).

My old 4 way didn't have a black screw so I guess it was basically having to guess which black wire would go to black. All solved!