Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6WCL vs PD-5NE/PD-10NXD

PD-6WCL vs PD-5NE/PD-10NXD

Got kind of a unique situation here and looking for some help.

The way our house is wired is that all lighting circuits go back to the mechanical room to sets of insteon switches that basically act as relays for the lights. Those "relays" are then controlled by insteon switches/keypads throughout the house that only have power running to them.

Due to the sheer number of failures of the insteon hardware, we have decided to rip it all out and start over and have decided on Lutron caseta. (Please don't suggest going w/ RA2 or anything other higher end Lutron system as we have looked into those but really cannot justify the added cost).

So, what I'm trying to decide on for the mechanical room is which caseta switch to use and whether or not it's ok to use the PD-6WCL instead of the 2x price of the PD-5NE or PD-10NXD?

All of the lights have neutral wires, but I just bought a starter kit which came w/ the PD-6WCL and tried it on a few different lighting circuits. They worked fine (about as well as the insteon switches if not better) but I'm concerned about not using the neutral wire. Is that going to be a problem?
    The neutrals are all tied together and back to the breaker, but the switch would be bypassed.

I'd upload a picture of the current setup, but the attachment upload feature isn't working.

Dimmers are typically classified as Forward Phase (aka leading edge, aka incandescent) or Reverse Phase (aka trailing edge, aka ELV). The 6WCL is a forward phase dimmer. It should work well with most of the screw-in bulbs you buy at retail. If you only have 1 or 2 bulbs or they don't perform the way you would like (flicker, ghosting, etc.) you may have to use the 10NXD. If you have fixtures with ELV drivers or some specialty fixtures you will need the 5NE.

I see much trial and error in your future!
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I'm not actually worried about how well it dims the lights as I have already done some testing. I was more concerned about whether or not it would be safe to use a non-neutral switch were currently a neutral switch resides?

But the more I think about it the more I believe it should be fine. This is essentially a single circuit with one switch and a single pole switch wouldn't have the neutral connected anyways.

You are exactly right. However, in the electronics world that's doesn't always matter. You can have the exact same application in two rooms. One will work the other will need the neutral dimmer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I get that and expect to have to buy possibly some of each. But if I can get away with the cheaper model and live with the results, that will save some moolah. :)