Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Skylark Contour not working?

Question Skylark Contour not working?

I have a 120v 3-way switch set-up controlling some LED lights which are dimmable. I am attempting to replace one of the existing standard switches with a Lutron Skylark Contour. The existing configuration looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3way.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	280.4 KB 
ID:	910

I connected the new Skylark in the switch position indicated in the diagram as follows:
    Lutron green wire --> Ground
    Lutron black wire --> Common wire (Black wire from incoming power feed)
    Lutron red wire --> red traveler to other switch
    Lutron red/white wire --> black traveler to other switch
    (The two white were left connected as they were)

I turned the power to the circuit back on at the panel and... nothing. I flipped both switches on and off in all possible combinations and the light never went on. The dimmer slider was all the way up, but I moved it around as well. Nothing.

I thought perhaps I had received a defective dimmer, so I got another one. I installed it the same way and it also did not work. I also tried reversing the two travelers (which shouldn't make a difference.) I double-checked the other switch and it is connected as shown in the diagram. I removed the Lutron and reconnected the old switch and it all works fine.

What could be the issue?

I'm sure you have done this but... verify that the wires connected to the red and red/white are from the same cable. It's easy to get the blacks swapped and it won't work if you do.

The dimmer has a minimum load requirement. It's typically 1 LED but it may be more depending on the type of bulb you are using.

Most Contour dimmers are forward phase. If your bulbs require reverse phase you would need a reverse phase dimmer.

There is a small trim adjustment knob on the side. Start with it in the middle position.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I'm sure you have done this but... verify that the wires connected to the red and red/white are from the same cable. It's easy to get the blacks swapped and it won't work if you do.

The dimmer has a minimum load requirement. It's typically 1 LED but it may be more depending on the type of bulb you are using.

Most Contour dimmers are forward phase. If your bulbs require reverse phase you would need a reverse phase dimmer.

There is a small trim adjustment knob on the side. Start with it in the middle position.
    Thanks for the reply-- I hooked up a different brand dimmer and it all worked on the first try. I suspect it may be one of the issues you suggested re: phase or trim adjustment.