Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adding second home to Lutron Connect App when customer is not there?

Adding second home to Lutron Connect App when customer is not there?

I have a customer in town who has a Ra2 system with a connect bridge and I helped her set up the app and she's happy with it though she is quite helpless in setting things up or changing scenes. I've had to install the app and show her how to use it. She also has another property an hour and a half away with an existing Ra2 system and no connect bridge. She wants me to go there and add the connect bridge and add that house to her app as well.

As I understand it, in order to add the new house, she has to be present in that other house as well on the same local network as the connect bridge and then discover the repeater and press the button in the back of the connect bridge. Unfortunately, she won't be there at the same time that I am as they are only there during certain times. What are my options here?

Can she give me temporary access remotely to her current home and I can go to the other house, add the new connect bridge, and then she also has access?

If that's not possible, can I get her user name and password, or possibly have them leave an Ipad with the connect app already logged in on the property and I can add the new home while I am there and then it also shows up on her phone?

I guess I've never had to run into this but once it's set up, does the homeowner ever need to push the button on the back of the bridge or can they just log on with their account and it's all there?

Every device will need to be connected to the LAN to be added. It's a physical layer of security.

You can install and setup the app. All they will have to do is "add home," login and press the button when prompted.

This makes it extremely difficult to replace a bridge in remote systems.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello,
    In order to set up a second bridge on the Connect App, a user must be signed into the app with the user's account information and be on the local WiFi network. The app will attempt to discover the bridge and when found, will prompt you to press the button on the back of the Connect Bridge in order to complete the setup. Both homes, should now show in the app and the user can toggle between them by pressing the house button in the top right corner of the app.

Is there a way to avoid having them push the button? Can I be given temporary access (either through having their user name and password or by them giving temporary access) to their account, drive there, do the setup and push the button and add the new home to their account? These people are not tech savvy at all beyond using an app that has been completely set up for them.

On a different topic, what if I go there and there is already a connect bridge set up which someone like the old AV guy has access to. What happens if you try to add a home that is already tied to an account? Is there a way to remove it or would I have to get a new unregistered connect bridge? I don't think that's what I'm walking into but I'm sure sooner or later I'll run into a case where the old owner didn't relinquish their account.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Is there a way to avoid having them push the button? Can I be given temporary access (either through having their user name and password or by them giving temporary access) to their account, drive there, do the setup and push the button and add the new home to their account? These people are not tech savvy at all beyond using an app that has been completely set up for them.

On a different topic, what if I go there and there is already a connect bridge set up which someone like the old AV guy has access to. What happens if you try to add a home that is already tied to an account? Is there a way to remove it or would I have to get a new unregistered connect bridge? I don't think that's what I'm walking into but I'm sure sooner or later I'll run into a case where the old owner didn't relinquish their account.

There is no way to avoid pushing the button. This is done for pairing and from a security stand point, prevents unwanted "guests" from temporarily accessing systems. It also helps ID which system in a Multi-Dwelling Unit configuration.