Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Activating connect brigde with Fios G3100 Router

Activating connect brigde with Fios G3100 Router

It’s a known fact that we cannot work on a RA2 system with a Fios g3100 (new white one) router. For some reason, the software will never find the repeater. It’s a pain in the ***. So we bring a temp router just for programming.

But now we ran into a new snag.

Activating the connect bridge while its on the network doesnt work. It never finds it. Apparently the Fios app blocks whatever broadcasting or network etc.. that is needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Lutron uses a protocol called Multicast. Many routers have Multicast turned off by default. To make it even more fun, router manufacturers don't always call it Multicast. The setting is typically buried several layers deep.

If you use a static IP for the main repeater, you may be able to communicate directly with it (click "show advanced" on the "Find Main Repeater" page. You should still enable Multicast as you may have issues with the bridge communicating with the Main Repeater.

I believe the bridge has to see the Internet to be activated. It's not smart enough to get their on it's own. If you contact tech support, they can tell you if they can see it. If not, the FIOS is definitely blocking it.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Lutron uses a protocol called Multicast. Many routers have Multicast turned off by default. To make it even more fun, router manufacturers don't always call it Multicast. The setting is typically buried several layers deep.

If you use a static IP for the main repeater, you may be able to communicate directly with it (click "show advanced" on the "Find Main Repeater" page. You should still enable Multicast as you may have issues with the bridge communicating with the Main Repeater.

I believe the bridge has to see the Internet to be activated. It's not smart enough to get their on it's own. If you contact tech support, they can tell you if they can see it. If not, the FIOS is definitely blocking it.
    appreciate the reply. The bridge sees the internet because I know it updated. But when your using the app trying to locate it, it doesn’t find it. I’m pretty sure it’s Fios. Surprised no articles about this.

4. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyhaddad View Post
    appreciate the reply. The bridge sees the internet because I know it updated. But when your using the app trying to locate it, it doesn’t find it. I’m pretty sure it’s Fios. Surprised no articles about this.
    Thank you for your post. We apologize for the network troubles you're experiencing. If you're able to find the Bridge via the software, but not the phone app, take not of the Error Message. Does it specificy that it can't connect to the Main Repeater / Processor, or the Connect Bridge? Sometimes, the phone is able to get to the bridge but the Bridge and Main Repeater are no longer communicating. While both issues are likely network related (remember that these use Multicast and UDP), it can help narrow down which part of the network communication needs help. www.lutron.com/Networking has more information on our networking requirements in general.

If the issue is finding the Bridge via the PC software, try disconnecting the WAN from the Fios router, activate the Bridge and Repeater, transfer, and then reconnect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan C. View Post
    Thank you for your post. We apologize for the network troubles you're experiencing. If you're able to find the Bridge via the software, but not the phone app, take not of the Error Message. Does it specificy that it can't connect to the Main Repeater / Processor, or the Connect Bridge? Sometimes, the phone is able to get to the bridge but the Bridge and Main Repeater are no longer communicating. While both issues are likely network related (remember that these use Multicast and UDP), it can help narrow down which part of the network communication needs help. www.lutron.com/Networking has more information on our networking requirements in general.

If the issue is finding the Bridge via the PC software, try disconnecting the WAN from the Fios router, activate the Bridge and Repeater, transfer, and then reconnect it.

Problem solved.

Unplugged wan port on fios 3100 router and design software was able to find both devices. loaded and then plugged wan back in. app found bridge and completed setup.

would be nice if lutron posted this crap somewhere so we don’t need to suffer for no reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyhaddad View Post
    Problem solved.

Unplugged wan port on fios 3100 router and design software was able to find both devices. loaded and then plugged wan back in. app found bridge and completed setup.

would be nice if lutron posted this crap somewhere so we don’t need to suffer for no reason!
    This is a known problem according to Lutron. I first had this problem last summer, after about 4 hours of d***ing around (on my own and with tech support) I gave up andreplaced the router with the wedge style one. Within 15 minutes of connecting the wedge router verizon automatically found the new router and Lutron connected right away. I thought I might have to call verizon, so i was pleased.
    Ran into the same problem last week, this time wasting only about 2 hours before giving up. I go back next week with a wedge router off ebay.
    For new verizon accounts I now tell the homeowner to request the old wedge router.

Just look at my solution it worked perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    This is a known problem according to Lutron. I first had this problem last summer, after about 4 hours of d***ing around (on my own and with tech support) I gave up andreplaced the router with the wedge style one. Within 15 minutes of connecting the wedge router verizon automatically found the new router and Lutron connected right away. I thought I might have to call verizon, so i was pleased.
    Ran into the same problem last week, this time wasting only about 2 hours before giving up. I go back next week with a wedge router off ebay.
    For new verizon accounts I now tell the homeowner to request the old wedge router.

read my solution. Worked well

Lutron Tech had me try that and no luck. I will try that again next job. I wonder if this will be an issue with the Ra3?