Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What do you do to you indicate a Toggle vs a Scene button on a keypad?

Question What do you do to you indicate a Toggle vs a Scene button on a keypad?

I'm doing some keypad programming on a large Radio RA2 install.

Sometimes it seems to make sense to use a Toggle control while other times it makes sense to use a Scene control button.

The homeowners are living with things for a while before we do the final engraving. So at this point the programming is being fine tuned (this is their first house with a lighting control system), and my first time programming such a large (150+ device) system.

I have used toggle buttons in some places, allowing a single button press to either turn a scene on or off. While in other cases I have used a scene button - setting the lights to the programmed levels regardless of multiple button presses, with a separate button to turn the lights off.

Understandably this can be confusing for the users. They don't know if they should press the same button a second time to turn the lights off, or if there is a different button they should be pressing.

My question is how do you handle this situation? Should I change things to only use either scenes or toggles? Is there something in the button label, or button icon, that you use to indicate to the user that this is either a scene or a toggle? Should scenes be named as activities/events to indicate that they are a scene, and then use room names/light descriptions for buttons that are toggles?

I'm sure there are some standard practices that I should be using to make things clear to users. Any help is appreciated.

Generally... if it has a specific name like chandelier, dining room, etc. it is a toggle. If it has a generic name like entertain, night, etc. it is a scene. Because scenes typically involve multiple areas I make them single action. The way you get out of a scene is turning some lights off or executing another scene. You could get out of entertain by pressing evening.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Generally... if it has a specific name like chandelier, dining room, etc. it is a toggle. If it has a generic name like entertain, night, etc. it is a scene. Because scenes typically involve multiple areas I make them single action. The way you get out of a scene is turning some lights off or executing another scene. You could get out of entertain by pressing evening.
    This is what I generally do. I have also used a +/- at the end to make it more clear for customers who are having a hard time. It reduces the amount of letters you can have is the downside.