Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lutron's upcoming announcement

Question Lutron's upcoming announcement

Can anyone make an educated guess what today's email from Lutron is about? How are they "Raising the bar on RA2"?

"Game-changing innovation" sounds intriguing...but I'm nervous about anything that could start making existing equipment obsolete!

I just received the email as well. Called a few contacts, does not seem any of them know anything

its RadioRa3, and the new Sunnata line of dimmers/keypads that are also available for Homeworks. New gateways as well.

This stuff has been showing up on the FCC website since Jan 2021. Appears to be ClearConnect Type X, which means its likely that RR3 could support Ketra lamps.

It better be compatible with RA2

Or I’m done selling Lutron.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Or I’m done selling Lutron.
    The new gateways support CCX and CCA per the test reports on the FCC website, so presumably the gateway will be compatible with RR2 devices; but the RR3 devices only support CCX. So my thinking is, if you want to mix & match devices, you would be able to do so with the new gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
    The new gateways support CCX and CCA per the test reports on the FCC website, so presumably the gateway will be compatible with RR2 devices; but the RR3 devices only support CCX. So my thinking is, if you want to mix & match devices, you would be able to do so with the new gateway.
    Man, I sure hope so. The RA2 repeater has been needing a serious update/upgrade for years. If the new one weren't backward-compatible, you have to think Lutron is content to just let RA2 die on the vine.

What kind of update you are hoping for?
    Range extension is always welcomed,
    Also if the Connect Bridge's feature would be built in, making the additional hardware unnecessarily....
    What else?

I would be happy to get Radio RA3, ONLY if it's 100% backwards compatible with all the existing Radio RA2 devices and the only things that wouldn't be compatible with it going forward would be devices that physically can't be handled by the current processor. I've installed a half dozen brand new systems this year alone so I wouldn't want to tell the customer that their brand new system is already obsolete. They already left out the new wire free shades which is not cool at all.

There was a "major" update to Classic RA but all the devices remained compatible. HomeWorks evolved from Original to Interactive to Illumination and all of the devices remained compatible. QS (RadioRA2, HQS, Sivoia) are not compatible with any previous systems. In all cases the newer devices would work in the older version but the newer features would not be available in the older system. Older devices would work in the newer system with very few exveptions.

What would I like to see?

#1 above all else, tear down the wall between RadioRA and HomeWorks.
    #2 I do quite a few systems from another manufacturer that has way more features than Lutron. So many more it makes Lutron look like an entry level system. I can login remotely without any special hardware. I can see what devices are online, their current draw, reboot them, error messages (over current, phase issues). And the system is about the same price as Lutron.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Oh yeah remote login without an act of god would be nice...

11. Likes Bill13 liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast