Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lutron's upcoming announcement

I was told (it was a educated guess) they were going to have the LEAP tech in the new Ra2, partly so the Palladium wireless shades could be used in the new ra2 (or Ra3, whatever it's called) system. This would mean new repeaters would be needed (not sure about Aux), don't know if that means the whole system has to be set up again, like moving from Ra simple to Ra2, but I would think so, right? Bridge built into the repeater so one component.

https://radiora3.lutron.com/us/en/re...section-id-715

Well apparently they will support existing Ra2 devices but it looks like all the new keypads, dimmers, and even the outdoor dimmer for some reason is Ra3 exclusive. Ra2 is officially the sad step child.

At least they are handling it better than QS vs. QSX...I still cant' imagine why RPM panels are not supported....or wait, it IS just as bad because now they don't support Wallmount modules! what?!

The whole ceiling mounted POE main repeater seems weird too. Why make something that doesn't need to be complicated, complicated? People don't like clutter on their walls and ceilings.

Time to hoard some Ra2 main repeaters.

Any chance they will exchange or refund current Ra2 supply?

Wow!

Okay, just got the actual announcement email and I'm browsing the new RA3 site. I'm impressed! Looks like a lot of new stuff.

The processor, especially, is a radical departure. All-in-one, PoE, supposedly better network "cooperation." That's VERY appealing. And it's backwards-compatible.

I really like the look of the multi-button Sunnata keypads, as I've thought the RA2 keypads with their curved buttons have looked a dated for a while now. But the rocker-style switches and dimmers...not so much. A lot of new color choices as well.

I'm definitely intrigued!

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    The whole ceiling mounted POE main repeater seems weird too. Why make something that doesn't need to be complicated, complicated? People don't like clutter on their walls and ceilings.

Time to hoard some Ra2 main repeaters.
    I can't agree on that one! The RA2 repeaters are finicky and dated. Also, I don't see anything that suggests the new processor has to be out on a wall or ceiling. Seems like it can be put in the same closets that current repeaters reside in...without the clutter of a DC adapter.

RadioRA 3 is on Lutron’s website now, looks like the Pro dimmer will be compatible with the new system, but I didn’t see any mention of 6ND, 10ND, 6NA.
    Looks like the Grafik Eye and wall box power module won’t be compatible
    But their releasing an outdoor plug in switch in the spring

Quote Originally Posted by PAR-Designer View Post
    I can't agree on that one! The RA2 repeaters are finicky and dated. Also, I don't see anything that suggests the new processor has to be out on a wall or ceiling. Seems like it can be put in the same closets that current repeaters reside in...without the clutter of a DC adapter.
    Well, instead of a single adapter, it will need an additional POE injector...Not every house and every customer is going to have a fancy home network. In the last 10 years I've installed Ra2 devices as standalone without any networking, really fancy networking, or just a plain old Netgear router or some sort of mesh network that the homeowner installed themselves. This is more of an annoyance to me than anything but the part that I don't understand is why they don't allow Grafik Eyes and wall mount power modules. For years it was accepted installation to hide the loads in a closet or pantry and only have keypads on the walls. This was the "poor man's Homeworks" approach that is done in many homes. You can have 6 zones on a wall-mount module in a 4 gang box so it saved on clutter and saves a little bit of money on dimmers too.

So what happens to a customer with a grafik eyes or wall mount modules if their processor dies and/or they want to take advantage of the new devices (like an outdoor dimmer) that their current system can't use? Instead of just replacing the main repeater, they'll have to replace the grafik eye with dimmers except that you can't put 6 dimmers in a 4 gang box and it's not always possible to expand the box if there is a stud there.

Yeah supposedly Lutron will keep parts around for 10 years but the price would be triple what it is now and it'll take forever to find one. A lot of these systems last longer than 10 years too and I have a lot of 2 processor customers...it'd be a lot less headache to just replace with the original.

I'll have to wait to see the full details but this, much like with QSX not supporting RPMs is yet another hostile act by Lutron by arbitrarily leaving out perfectly working devices from the new system. There is no logical explanation for discontinuing support for current devices. It would have been so much simpler to just allow backwards compatibility with all the RA2 devices and it wouldn't have cost them anything but a few lines of extra code. Maybe I'm the only one who actually supports installed systems and gets service calls on systems where the original installer went out of business long ago, but I just can't understand why they take away features.

I agree with you, I have a Grafik Eye and wall box power module in my residence but I’ve been patiently waiting for the outdoor plug-in device ever since Caseta got it.
    I don’t think I’m willing to give up so much just to get the outdoor device. The Grafik Eye is 4 zone in my theater area so I wouldn’t have to cut any drywall or fish wire but it’s such an elegant looking device that I’d hate to lose it. The WPM is just outside my mechanical room so I could cut in a 6 gang box which is uglier or move 2 devices into the mech room but I shouldn’t have to do that when they could’ve just given us compatibility with all existing devices

Well in our own homes we fully understand the consequences of our choices, but for me, part of the selling point with Lutron products was "Lutron stands behind their products and are always adding new things"....Then a year later "Yeah, sorry you can't have that new wire free shade...nor those new keypads...and if you upgrade so you can have the new shades and new keypads, half your other devices won't work either". I don't get why they throw in poison pills into a great system.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast