Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Pico switches deactivating?

Pico switches deactivating?

We had a pair of 3-way standard switches controlling a pair of ceiling fixtures. We just had an electrician swap those out and add a third switch to that circuit with Caseta switches. They replaced one of the originals with a PD-6WCL, the other original with a Pico remote with preferred dimmer setting button (PJ2-3BRL?), and then the new switch is another Pico remote without the button (PJ2-2BRL?).

What is happening is that the remotes only function for about 5 minutes after using the primary switch (PD-6WCL). Afterward the indicator lights flash green when pressing the on/off buttons, but the actual lights do not respond. To "reconnect" them, you have to turn the lights off/on at the primary switch again.

We're not sure what's going on exactly and would prefer to not have the electrician come back out unless absolutely necessary. Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by RickGroves View Post
    We had a pair of 3-way standard switches controlling a pair of ceiling fixtures. We just had an electrician swap those out and add a third switch to that circuit with Caseta switches. They replaced one of the originals with a PD-6WCL, the other original with a Pico remote with preferred dimmer setting button (PJ2-3BRL?), and then the new switch is another Pico remote without the button (PJ2-2BRL?).

What is happening is that the remotes only function for about 5 minutes after using the primary switch (PD-6WCL). Afterward the indicator lights flash green when pressing the on/off buttons, but the actual lights do not respond. To "reconnect" them, you have to turn the lights off/on at the primary switch again.

We're not sure what's going on exactly and would prefer to not have the electrician come back out unless absolutely necessary. Ideas?
    The electrician came back yesterday and diagnosed the problem as a function of the PJ2-2BRL disrupting the connection. They replaced it with a 2nd PJ2-3BRL unit, matching the other remote. Unfortunately, this has not resolved the issue. The switches will still all function for a few moments, and then stop functioning until "reset" by activating the lights at the primary dimmer switch. I figure it must be something with the wiring of the new switch, but we're stumped.

Lutron Technical Support
    What kind of lights are controlled by the dimmer? Is it possible to swap for an incandescent bulb?

I would first verify that the 6WCL operates properly. It should turn on/off and dim every time you use the buttons on the dimmer.

Next I would test the Picos. You should see the LEDs on the 6WCL respond even if the lights don't respond. If the LEDs don't respond it is a communication issue. You can further test by moving the Pico closer to the 6WCL.

If the 6WCL does respond to the above test, it is the wiring. The 6WCL is a single location device. You have to rewire the 3-way wiring to make it work properly.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I would first verify that the 6WCL operates properly. It should turn on/off and dim every time you use the buttons on the dimmer.

Next I would test the Picos. You should see the LEDs on the 6WCL respond even if the lights don't respond. If the LEDs don't respond it is a communication issue. You can further test by moving the Pico closer to the 6WCL.

If the 6WCL does respond to the above test, it is the wiring. The 6WCL is a single location device. You have to rewire the 3-way wiring to make it work properly.
    Thanks, Randy. The LEDs on the 6WCL were responding despite the lights not responding. The 6WCL itself typically worked, but was flaky.

Tonight we just blew the fuse -- I think. Not just tripped but won't turn back on at all. There's two other overhead lights, a bathroom fan, and an outdoor light on the same circuit. So I don't know if it was overloaded by the addition of the remotes or if something was screwy with the wiring that was the root of all the problems. Suffice to say the electrician will need to come back out.

I'll make sure to talk to them about making sure it's properly installed/wired in consideration of the original 3-way wiring.

Final update: Electrician came back out again and we eliminated the possible sources of problems other than the light bulbs. And it turned out we had non-dimmable LED bulbs installed. We all feel quite stupid, but putting in proper dimmable bulbs appears to have done the trick.

7. Likes Bill13 liked this post