Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Apparently you need to be a shade dealer to buy picos with shade icons

Apparently you need to be a shade dealer to buy picos with shade icons

I am about over a job in a house that had 3 Lutron people in it already. I'm afraid to give too much detail because one or two of them might come here and recognize the story but I'll just say that the shade guy who just installed Sivoia wireless QS shades and didn't even bother leaving a single Pico remote or programming them temporarily. He pretty much just installed them...MAYBE he did the limits or tested them...I'm not sure. The actual programming seemed to be between the electrician and AV guy (or AV guy's lutron guy) who didn't coordinate and apparently one overrode the others' programs with hilarious consequences. So now I'm there and took my first look at the programming and it was like a toddler did it. It is quite terrible and the same room has devices from two different main repeaters so they split up single rooms into two rooms. I can't even explain how terrible this is and it's a bad look for Lutron to just let anybody off the street have amateur hour, but I digress.

Since a lot of the rooms have both shear and blackout shades I thought the 2 shade picos would be perfect. Except when we went to order from our supplier, we were told that we had to be a shade dealer to get it...I get that you'd want only shade dealers to buy actual shades, but the shades are already there. I just want to have a way for the customer to control them since the shade guy cut and ran. I could just get a regular 4 button pico and program it for the shades and have the light icon, but it makes no sense that I can't buy a pico with shade icons.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello! We apologize for any misunderstanding. We strongly advise reaching out to the Customer Service Team or your local Lutron representative for help with this. They should be able to help get the appropriately engraved Picos for your project.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan C. View Post
    Hello! We apologize for any misunderstanding. We strongly advise reaching out to the Customer Service Team or your local Lutron representative for help with this. They should be able to help get the appropriately engraved Picos for your project.
    Well our lighting supplier (we can't buy directly from Lutron) told us there was nothing they could do because they were not a shade dealer themselves, so we got referred to a shading dealer who were nice enough to sell us the picos with their markup. They worked great (after changing the frequency on them which I still don't understand the purpose of) and the customer loved them.

We are a small outfit so we are grateful to be able to buy parts from our lighting supplier but it WOULD be nice to be able to deal with Lutron directly and not pay markups to suppliers. It also helps with things like engraving already installed systems since the suppliers are usually kind of clueless about doing that. Just food for thought to help out smaller longtime installers of your high end products :) . I fear now with Ketra dealers being also separate that this will create yet a 3rd divide between dealers where if we try to replace a light fixture 5 years from now, we would have to go to a Ketra dealer.

4. Likes Bill13 liked this post