Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flickering LEDs

Flickering LEDs

I installed several Caseta dimmers that control my recessed cans. Unfortunately, the builder put in housings that only accept GU24 socketed bulbs so my choice in bulb is very limited. I ended up having to use Satco S9139 BR30 LED bulbs (one of the few BR30 GU24 LED I could find).

The bulbs work fine when on a standard light switch. However with the Casetta dimmers in place, a few of the bulbs flicker from time to time. I could understand them doing something strange when dimmed but it does it at full brightness setting as well.

Is there anything I can do about this? Will the problem go away if I replaced the dimmers with the Caseta on/off switch? As mentioned, they are just fine when hooked up to garden variety switches.

thxs!

Flickering LEDs

Im just starting to get in to all of this but from my experience so far, bulb compatibility is a big issue. I bought one version of the FEIT LED retrofit bulbs from Costco and they are not on the compatibility list. I thought to myself "how different can they be if there are other FEIT bulbs on the list." I bought them, installed them and they buzzed. I took them back and bought the ones off Costco's website that are on the list and they work fine. By the way, the bulbs are very different in appearance. The ones I'm using are much more substantial looking than the first ones I bought.

Couple options: you could find an adapter that goes from GU24 to standard socket so you can use an approved bulb. Alternatively, you maybe able to just cut out the GU24 socket but be sure to check if the ballast is in the can or if the bulbs are self-ballasted. You may have to bypass the ballast.

I hope that helps. I don't know if the switch would eliminate your problem...but I think you'll want to the ability to dim the bulbs. Mine are really bright at full power.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I installed several Caseta dimmers that control my recessed cans. Unfortunately, the builder put in housings that only accept GU24 socketed bulbs so my choice in bulb is very limited. I ended up having to use Satco S9139 BR30 LED bulbs (one of the few BR30 GU24 LED I could find).

The bulbs work fine when on a standard light switch. However with the Casetta dimmers in place, a few of the bulbs flicker from time to time. I could understand them doing something strange when dimmed but it does it at full brightness setting as well.

Is there anything I can do about this? Will the problem go away if I replaced the dimmers with the Caseta on/off switch? As mentioned, they are just fine when hooked up to garden variety switches.

thxs!

Lutron Technical Support
    Here is the current list of LED and CFL bulbs approved for our LED dimmers: http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum..._Bulb_list.pdf
    See pages 46-59 for bulbs approved for the Caseta dimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Here is the current list of LED and CFL bulbs approved for our LED dimmers: http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum..._Bulb_list.pdf
    See pages 46-59 for bulbs approved for the Caseta dimmers.
    Did you bother to read my post? I have cans requiring a BR30 bulb with a GU24 base which there are virtually none (other than the horrid looking Cree retrofit kit which requires major surgery on the can). And no, I won't use a GU24 adapter as not a single one is UL listed.

I find it amazing at full brightness, your dimmers cause flickering when a standard light switch does not. That is a design flaw with the dimmer, not the bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I find it amazing at full brightness, your dimmers cause flickering when a standard light switch does not. That is a design flaw with the dimmer, not the bulb.
    Even at full brightness the bulb is still being dimmed slightly. That's probably why you're still seeing flickering. Unfortunately it sounds like a bulb/dimmer compatibility issue.