Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Delay with motion sensor

Question Delay with motion sensor

I have a Caseta motion sensor (PD-OSENS-WH) located in a hallway. There is a significant delay between it sensing motion and triggering the lights.

Here is a diagram of my setup. It takes me about 15' as a normal pace before the lights are triggered. I tried two different PD-OSENS-WH units and both exhibited the same behavior. The weird thing is sometimes, it will trigger the light instantly. More often than not though, there is a 4-5 second delay. The lights can be manually turned off or on from either switch in the hallway. I think this is called a 3-way installation.

We have a PD-OSENS-WH installed in another room that works perfectly.

Any suggestions as to what would cause this issue?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nDRfZDP.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	888
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail_Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 5.50.53 PM.png  

I would check the 3-way wiring first.

Air vents and sunlight can affect the sensor performance.

Try adjusting the direction of the sensor. It has 180 degree view but sometimes changing the orientation helps. You can also move it. It could even go at the other end of the hall.

Height can also be an issue. Lutron recommends 6-8 feet. Lower for smaller rooms.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I would check the 3-way wiring first.

Air vents and sunlight can affect the sensor performance.

Try adjusting the direction of the sensor. It has 180 degree view but sometimes changing the orientation helps. You can also move it. It could even go at the other end of the hall.

Height can also be an issue. Lutron recommends 6-8 feet. Lower for smaller rooms.
    It's no where near sunlight.

Is there a way to get backing with varying angles? The back part that slides into the unit only comes with a 45 degree angle. This is not ideal for all situations.

Quote Originally Posted by amrogers3 View Post
    I have a Caseta motion sensor (PD-OSENS-WH) located in a hallway. There is a significant delay between it sensing motion and triggering the lights.

Here is a diagram of my setup. It takes me about 15' as a normal pace before the lights are triggered. I tried two different PD-OSENS-WH units and both exhibited the same behavior. The weird thing is sometimes, it will trigger the light instantly. More often than not though, there is a 4-5 second delay. The lights can be manually turned off or on from either switch in the hallway. I think this is called a 3-way installation.

We have a PD-OSENS-WH installed in another room that works perfectly.

Any suggestions as to what would cause this issue?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nDRfZDP.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	888
    Did you ever find a cause for this?
    I have 3 of these same motion sensors and 2 of them have worked perfectly since day 1 while the other one has the same delay as you're experiencing. And just like you, sometimes it triggers instantly but I would say 70% of the time there is a delay.