Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: where is the LEAP API documentation?

where is the LEAP API documentation?

Where is the LEAP API documentation? If it has not published, when will it be published? If it will never be published publicly, can I request access? I understand Control4, Josh.ai, URC, ELAN, and Crestron have been given access to the LEAP API. Those are fine enough, but not everyone wants to use them. Automation needs to be flexible and it should be possible to work with any system.

It seem the answer is to email: hwsupport@lutron.com

Lutron Technical Support
    Thank you for your post about LEAP integration, NateS.

We recommend reaching out to workswith@lutron.com for information regarding the new LEAP integration and requesting access.

I have contacted Lutron requesting the documentation so that we can update our software and working practices. As a response, I received a polite brush off from a shades sale manager informing me we should be using the Savant implementation of LEAP when it arrives. After speaking to our man at Savant, we learned that development of this has barely begun and it will be well into 2022 before something is released. When released, it will require additional hardware and may well have a license fee attached for using it. "Much better to use Savant lighting and shades" is the message I believe I am being given by Savant, which is where I think we are going to be forced to go if we are unable to develop our own bridging solution. Further, it's a false assumption thinking to hide a mechanism is way to keep it secure, anyone heard of Kerckhoffs's principle?

Has anyone managed to get this documentation? If not, I wonder why nobody has started a project to reverse engineer it based on one of the “drivers” already released to “partners”?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R. View Post
    Thank you for your post about LEAP integration, NateS.

We recommend reaching out to workswith@lutron.com for information regarding the new LEAP integration and requesting access.
    Just to follow up, I did this and got no where. The LEAP API is still not published. What a joke!

I see the talk is old, but I got curious and have some thoughts. If in the same spot, you can ask the LEAP API team or those who use it. They might let you use it if you ask well and have a good point. Sometimes, they can grant access on a case-by-case basis, especially if you make a compelling argument for what you're trying to achieve.
    Also, you can use third party api integration services in usa to link systems until you can use the LEAP API or find another way. These services specialize in making different systems work together seamlessly, which might help you bridge the gap until you can get your hands on the LEAP API documentation or find a workaround.